Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-07-2004 , 02:26 PM

Parent or constrain object to a curve point

Hi!
I am trying to make a scene where a piece of string is held up by a character, (a dynamic nurbs "hair" curve in maya 6), and on the piece of strind is some 3D text.

I have the string set up and moving (dynamically), great; and the text is made.

I can't seem to parent, or point constrain the geomoetry to an individual point of the dynamic curve. I was wondering if there is a way to do this???

Thanks guys and gals,

Rich user added image

# 2 20-07-2004 , 02:54 PM
hmmmm. Thats a good one.

Any help from you DYNAMICS guys would be great.

Sorry I can't help you. I don't do much dynamics stuff. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 20-07-2004 , 02:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
You would probably need to select each CV in turn and make clusters. (Deform > Create Cluster). You should then be able to parent to these cluster objects.

# 4 20-07-2004 , 03:01 PM
Someone also suggested maybe trying to parent a locator to a point on the curve then parenting a letter to the locator, repeating this for each letter of text.

Sound plausible?

OR

Create a joints chain, one joint for each letter. Parent each letter to each joint. Then use the hair curve as an IK spline for the joints. You can then set Maya to choose which curve to use for the IK spline, which will be your dynamic curve.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 5 20-07-2004 , 09:57 PM
Thanks for the reply, the ik spline idea sounds intreguing! May have to try that out!

However, I'm on my next project now, and I've switched to XSI for this particular one, as it's render heavy and, well i'll leave it there!

Thanks chaps! user added image