Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-08-2004 , 04:35 PM

Modelling a wall

Hi,

I'm trying to model a wall made out of wooden planks all around a fortress . And I want to make it look as realistic as possible, so I don't really want to use a bumped texture on it since it looks fake more often than not. I want to model the individual planks. Unfortunatley, this is making my scene very heavy. Drawing the wall after is taking forever.

Any ideas on how I can improve this?
Would the scale of my wall have anything to do with how heavy it is? Or could Is there any way I could make my bump map look real and not obviously like a texture?

Attached Images

~nspiratn
# 2 17-08-2004 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
To help with the slowing down of your scene, you could always stick a large portion of the planks in a layer and toggle the visibility of the layer on and off as you need while you're working.

As for making the planks, if you want to model each one individually, I would at least suggest duplicating a few of them here and there as instance copies just to save time because your process appears very time-consuming.

# 3 17-08-2004 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
I dont think that you have to model the whole wall, just do the spot that will be in front of the camera and use a bump map for the parts that are far away.