Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-09-2004 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber

Mr too bright!

Here are too render, the good one from Maya software and the other from Mental ray. I used the dome technique, the skin in a Blin. The dome is white with a bit of incadescence and irradiance (aboutu 20% each).

The whole thing is way too bright, how can I fix this?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-09-2004 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
Now the horible MR render:
<WARNING: use sunglasses>

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 04-09-2004 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
And this is my desired output. I did it last night, didnt save and forgot how I did it during the night...

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 05-09-2004 , 12:01 AM
i'm going to assume you're just using Final Gather with that dome?
first make sure you disabled the Default Light in Render Globals (in the Common Tab).
if that doesn't solve what you need, try the following stuff:
just reduce the incadescence and irradiance of the dome material and you'll get a darker render. the higher those are, the brighter the render will be.

when i do renders like that i usually use the Ambient Color instead of incadescence and irradiance. its a lot simpler if you ask me.
the size of your dome will kinda determine the value of ambient to use. if you're dome is pretty close to the model, you won't have to use as high a value, but if its a very large dome you may have to increase the ambient.

hope that helps ya outuser added image

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 5 05-09-2004 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber
Sorry, forgot to talk about FG. Yes, I used it and disabled the light.

I will try to play with these settings, especialy that ambiant color thing.

So my problem is just param related, good too know. Thanks!

# 6 18-09-2004 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
ok here is what i do for my mental ray renders.

1. apply shader to model, floor, and dome. (i prefer blinn for the model and lambert for the dome, and blinn for the floor).

2. then for the shader of the model and floor, choose ur color, then increase the ambient color a little bit. then decrease the eccentricity some. increase the specular rolloff and mayb increase the reflectivity.

3 then for the dome shader make the color a little bit less than full white. increase the ambient color some.

4. make a light and set the intensity to 0.

5 in the render globals change to mental ray. then under the mental ray tab change the quality to preview final gather. then go to the final gather and change it to 350.

6. then render