Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-06-2005 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber

Mental Ray Stand-alone

https://store.alias.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN...P=0&CACHE_ID=0

Interesting, Alias is releasing a 64 bit stand alone version of MR. So after you pay $7000 for unlimited you can add the 64 bit MR for "only" $995 (usd). Who the heck does they're marketing. Maya used to be the best deal monetarily but has since been undercut and they don't seem to care. Dollar wise it's hard to argue the point for Maya. I'll still use it, but paying another $1000 for something they should give to licensed user or at least discount heavily may not happen. Grip aside, at least they're beefing up MR.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 2 27-06-2005 , 11:11 PM
Subscriber
alias does not make MR, they just resell it.

a 64 bit MR fo 999$ is a good deal. compared to a renderer like turtle which is the exact same price [per machine, per node] and thats just command line rendering only

as a stand alone, u can use it with any other 3d packages compatible with MR file system, 3dmax uses mr so does xsi,

and u can get the maya complete version for $2k and get an upgrade to unltd for half the price.
:eek3:

Last edited by vladimirjp; 27-06-2005 at 11:13 PM.
# 3 27-06-2005 , 11:40 PM
Okay, Im a grade 10 student (Grade 11 after holidays) and I don't know a thing about business studies, but my guesses are that they have been monitoring the popularity of Maya and have noticed that lots more people are beginning to buy it. Seeing this, they decide to boost their prices just a small bit, and add a "special" thing to make it look like a deal. when people see this they'll go, "Hey, look at this deal going on. Once in a lifetime offer, huh?". Thus, making more people buy, thinking it's a discount.
There; My professional view of things.

*Looks up at all the confusing junk he just wrote*

I don't know a thing about business studies

I rest my case.

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.