Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-08-2005 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber

Great tutorials by Kurt Boutilier

Hi, im a second year animation student at a college in South Africa. I just want to really thank Simply Maya and espesially Kurt Boutilier for fantasic tutorials. I am currently busy with his tree frog tutorial and am very pleased with the results. I am much more confidient with modelling now. I will post my work on the site the moment when I am done.

Thank you!!

Karlien

karlien@newvisionsafrica.com

# 2 22-08-2005 , 08:11 AM
Subscriber
I second that. The tutorials here are great, and Kurt's organic videos have really helped me. What I really like is the idea of using NURBS to rough out the shape. Modo is my preferred modeller, but there is no NURBS support, so I wasn't getting very far with organics. After watching Kurt's videos, I quickly make the shape out in Maya, convert it to polys, and then export it as an OBJ file, import into Modo, and I'm off.

The great thing is that the tools that Kurt uses are all available in Modo, so I can easily do what he does.

Thanks for the great videos, guys. Keep 'em conin'!

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 3 22-08-2005 , 09:19 PM
Hi, glad to hear that our tuts are helping new users learn how to get a handel on MAYA a little bit faster... Means a lot to me.

We have a lot of new things planed this year as well so watch out=).

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 22-08-2005 , 09:29 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Well, kurt, u are probably a miracle, something like Jesus or even GOD with modelling. (WOW, I'm really impressed with my crazynessuser added image)

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 5 22-08-2005 , 09:41 PM
Hey Kurt, didn't you used to be in Edmonton?

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 6 23-08-2005 , 01:05 AM
Ya lived in edmonton for almost 2 years,,, now back where i was born now building a house...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 7 23-08-2005 , 01:30 AM
Wow, that's awesome. I wish I was old enough to afford to build a new house. user added image

Hey, have you considered being a judge for the Alberta Skills competition next year in Edmonton for 3D animation? I was there this year with my friend. Unfortunately, we couldn't finish because the computer we used had some technical diffulties, namely freezing during batch rendering.
If you decide to be there next year, I'll be able to meet you user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 8 23-08-2005 , 08:23 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Wait...I saw somethin' like that...Oh, forget it.

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 9 23-10-2005 , 05:36 PM
I wanna 10x Kurt Boutilier too. I'm 18 years old and I'm from Bulgaria. For those who dont know Bulgaria is pretty poor country and I dont have money to pay for the tutorials. I download with 3-4kb/s and yet i've downloaded 400MB, the last 4 days. I'm mayafanathic (if there is such a word user added image) and I'm really addicted now... So the free tutorials that Kurt made mean very much to me. Once again thanks Kurt Boutilier for being such a good guy. user added image

# 10 26-10-2005 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by slaavi
I wanna 10x Kurt Boutilier too. I'm 18 years old and I'm from Bulgaria. For those who dont know Bulgaria is pretty poor country and I dont have money to pay for the tutorials. I download with 3-4kb/s and yet i've downloaded 400MB, the last 4 days. I'm mayafanathic (if there is such a word user added image) and I'm really addicted now... So the free tutorials that Kurt made mean very much to me. Once again thanks Kurt Boutilier for being such a good guy. user added image

user added image 3-4kb/sec? wow...

today I was gettin mad because my downloads were droppin below 400kb/sec.. lol and I actually hit a record high of 650/sec

but that's of course, you're over there... kinda sucks.. I would know.. I lived there for 12 years user added image

-Emo

# 11 04-11-2005 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
i also agree, its because of kurt and his help that i've managed to produce great results in 3d, results that got me into EA Academy in the UK.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 12 05-11-2005 , 11:16 PM
SM Tea Boy
texturingpart8sp.zip 41.24 MB in 9.77 seconds (4,547.0 KB/s)

Just to really piss everyone off.

Dave :p

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"