Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 02-03-2006 , 01:23 AM
Subscriber

car spot -cone simulation

hello.
im working on a project where i need to have an infinite amount of cones [ the ones for the roads usually orange and white and pointy things]
pop out from the ground and land infront of a car.

im not too sure on how to do this. this like a 2-3 sec shot.
just pop up and land back on the ground [they will be animated with some squash stretch etc ]
-----------

so i thought about instances, i read the docs from maya, they did not tell much.
by that i mean they gave no insights on how to use them, just an explaination of what they are.

-----------------

i also tried actual geometry instancing;
but that prove too costly for render time and slow down - these are some what detailed nurbs cones, and i would need a seemingly infinite amount of them on screen at a given time [2-3 sec]

i also thought about doing it in post, but that is if it all fails from the other steps i mentioned.

if anyone have any ideas or have done similar project, please help me out.

# 2 07-03-2006 , 04:54 PM
Could using sprites not help you out?

By creating the particle movement, form an emitt from curve or what have you, and then assigning sprites to it with the animation if the cones motion as the sprites sequence?

Just thinking on my feet here about the problem.

Dunno if this will give you big slowdown or what as i've never really played with sprites?

# 3 07-03-2006 , 05:59 PM
Subscriber
i ended up using particle instancing.

worked well.

# 4 07-03-2006 , 06:41 PM
Nice, thought you might have finished it.