Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-01-2007 , 02:06 AM

More than one object matches name?!

I think I figured out how to *fix* it, but I was wondering if anyone knows how I *did* it so I don't do it again.

I was trying to convert a bunch of objects at once to subdivs, from polygons, and it gave me the message "Error: more than one object match name." I did a lot of duplicating before this, so I thought that was probably the cause somehow.

Any idea what I did?

Thanks all!

# 2 01-01-2007 , 12:29 PM
It is legal in Maya to have multiple DAG nodes with the same name so long as they don't have the same parent node.

I know duplicating does this. For example if you:
- create a cube called pCube1
- group it under group1
- open the outliner and pick group1
- Edit->Duplicate

In the outliner you will see group1 and group2. Both nodes will have a child called pCube1.

Off the top of my head, I haven't run into any other tools that re-use names like this.

# 3 02-01-2007 , 12:54 AM
Thanks for the advice!

# 4 02-01-2007 , 01:07 AM
Would I have had to specifically select in the duplicate menu for the duplicate to be a parented? So I can avoid it? Also, is there any way quicker than remaking and re-duplicating the objects? Can I mass rename quickly or something?

Thanks!

# 5 02-01-2007 , 01:55 AM
Just make sure when you duplicate, you have "Assign Unique names" turned on.