Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-03-2007 , 03:38 AM

FG Sword

Hi. I haven't been as active as I'd like on this site, but I'm trying to change that. user added image I wanted to start by posting a little something I worked on, and asking what you guys thought. I made an IBL node and mapped a grid texture to it for this shot

user added image

# 2 13-03-2007 , 04:09 AM
Wowwwwwwww user added image user added image

Simply amazing.......how did you render the scene....love it

Can you post a wire?

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 3 13-03-2007 , 12:12 PM
Me gusta mucho! Hay que fabuloso! How long did it take to render?

Expect to excell...
# 4 13-03-2007 , 12:21 PM
Thanks, guys user added image I'll post a wireframe in a bit.

As to the rendering, I used Mental Ray Final Gather with an IBL node with a grid texture mapped on it. There's also a very low-intensity point light off-screen upper right, for shadows but looking back I think I could have done without that. The number of FG rays weren't that high, around 600. Or is that high? I'm a bit new to FG.

At NTSC the render took about three minutes, Mental Ray Production settings. I tried rendering at 12"X16" at 250 dpi and it took 34 minutes, hahaha!

# 5 13-03-2007 , 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Calvin
Thanks, guys user added image I'll post a wireframe in a bit.

At NTSC the render took about three minutes, Mental Ray Production settings. I tried rendering at 12"X16" at 250 dpi and it took 34 minutes, hahaha!

Whoa! I'll tell you what WHOA!! (Bartok from Anastasia)

Expect to excell...
# 6 13-03-2007 , 12:30 PM
Haha, funny bat, that Bartok.

Just to put things in perspective, those render times were on an AMD Athlon64 2 Ghz, 1 Gig of Ram and a NVidia GeforceFX 6600 card.

# 7 13-03-2007 , 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Calvin
Haha, funny bat, that Bartok.

Just to put things in perspective, those render times were on an AMD Athlon64 2 Ghz, 1 Gig of Ram and a NVidia GeforceFX 6600 card.

Shoot dang! That's good processing! If my high school were to have that, I wouldn't have to worry too much about quality of the render! I could be happy! Of course, it's not too bad. My piano video with full raytracing (1000 frames) took over two days to render.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 8 13-03-2007 , 01:03 PM
We all have stories like that user added image When I was studying I also rendered so many frames over the weekend. Thank goodness no one turned the machine off, and it didn't crash, as I was rendering .AVI's. So if it did, I would have started all over again.

Here's the wireframe render:

user added image

# 9 14-03-2007 , 06:10 AM
Very very nice, the only thing I feel doesn't fit is the Sword of Kings font. Maybe use something a bit more classical. Otherwise great model!

# 10 14-03-2007 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
nice model

only crit is that u have a lot of setail on the top but none on the sides
seems a little odd to me

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 11 14-03-2007 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by IJke
Very very nice, the only thing I feel doesn't fit is the Sword of Kings font. Maybe use something a bit more classical. Otherwise great model!

I agree, I think the font should be more of an Old English text or something medieval looking. other than that I love the sword!

# 12 15-03-2007 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
thats a really nice render of the sword ... looks pretty sweet i feel like buying one now user added image just out of curiousity, what is in the backround/enviroment which is making them really wicked reflections on the buttom of the sword(handle), thanks

marlon

# 13 16-03-2007 , 07:21 AM
Hey, thanks, marlonjohn. That's actually a grid texture mapped to an IBL node. I think I rotated it 30 degrees or so, and sometimes just doing that makes the reflections more interesting I find.

IJke and Rhetoric Camel, yeah, I initially wanted to write it in Latin, so I picked a font that kinda looks like the font they use in the HBO series ROME, but I didn't figure out what "sword" was in Latin. I know King is Rex or Regis... What font would you guys suggest?

And as for the lack of design on the sides, well, the original I copied didn't have any so I left them out. But I see what you mean, pbman. I'll add some more of the vine-like design things to the side.

user added image