Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-05-2007 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber

How do i...

Is there a way to orient an object based off of another surface?
For instance, i have an object that i want to orient one face, with that of another on a different object so that it lines up. Is there some function that allows me to select a face from each object and then have one object orient and move to the other face?
I have PLEs 6 AND 7, so if there's something in either, that'll be great.

Also...is there a way to smooth just a particular part of the model? rather than the whole object, just the selected faces? I find it a real pain to have to add a bunch of edges just to keep the shape of something on the object when i convert to subd or smooth when i only need some blocky-looking areas smoothed.

# 2 16-05-2007 , 06:34 PM
I think what you might be looking for is the Snap Align tool (option box) under the Modify Menu Set. As far as smoothing, I think you can just select what faces or edges you want and then do a smooth. If the object is selected it will smooth the whole thing but if you only have certain faces selected, I think only those faces get smoothed.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 17-05-2007 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the reply, i'll check out that tool user added image

also, i do have only a couple edges/faces selected, but it still smooths the entire model, it's weird...but it's not a huge deal.

Thanks for the help user added image