Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-06-2007 , 07:46 AM

Battleship (Finished Work)

Nothing special, just a simple battleship I modeled today from a tutorial I saw on tutorialscentral.com. I don't have any plans to texture it. One day, I'll apply what I've learned to very detailed battleship and texture that one. This was just a simple modeling project for learning some new techinques. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 16-06-2007 , 07:48 AM
another angle

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 16-06-2007 , 07:51 AM
last render

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 4 16-06-2007 , 04:30 PM
Jr.Who
Looks cool! My only complaint is the color (that tannish color doesn't look like it would go on a ship) and the shadows look weird.
user added image

# 5 16-06-2007 , 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Looks cool! My only complaint is the color (that tannish color doesn't look like it would go on a ship) and the shadows look weird.
user added image

It's not textured, it's simply a model. I love it! how long did it take you? It looks far beyond simple!! KUTGW

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 6 16-06-2007 , 05:28 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by wasatch5_sparticus
It's not textured, it's simply a model. I love it! how long did it take you? It looks far beyond simple!! KUTGW

Sparticus

I know it's not textured, but he did put that color on it, so I'm sure he could put a different one on there very easily.

# 7 16-06-2007 , 07:09 PM
Thanks for comments guys. I worked on it on and off yesterday. My best guess is that it took me about 5 hours, maybe 6.

The color is actually coming from the directional light (yellow tint). Everything is is the default lambert. I didn't add any colors or make any changes to the default lambert. Rendering, I just did a software render with Shadows turned on, nothing special except I changed the shadow resolution from 512 to 1024. I was only doing it for the modeling aspect and not for the looks. Thanks for your comments anyway Jr. Who.

I had fun with it and will probably one day model the USS New Jersey with lots of details (I downloaded reference pics last night). If so, I'm sure I'll want to texture and light it properly.

Thanks again guys!

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 16-06-2007 , 07:42 PM
Looks great man, nice going.

I keep wanting to model a ship but never got round to it!!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 16-06-2007 , 10:09 PM
I havn't checked out very many ships yet, but the USS New Jersey has some incredible references. Top and Side line drawings and photos with lots of details all over the ship. It's a pretty cool looking battleship. I'm going to check out some destroyers since battleships aren't really used anymore. I'll PM you if I find anything cool.

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 17-06-2007 , 09:13 PM
19 year Veteran
Hey perfecto, very nice work! Also, it would be cool to see you model the Battleship Yamato from cartoon series Star Blazers (circia 1979 ). Something I have yet to see anybody do as far as I am aware.

# 11 17-06-2007 , 09:43 PM
Cool, I'll check it out.

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 18-06-2007 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
nice model

only crit is it is a bit pinched at the front
the extruding bit at the bottm is normally like a sphere rather than piched

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 13 18-06-2007 , 02:54 PM
Thanks pbman, and you're right about the front although I didn't think about the bottom needing to be more rounded so I'll have to keep that in mind when I do the next one.

Thanks again!

Exceed Expectations!