Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-07-2007 , 05:59 AM

hopefully a quick and simple lattice problem

hey i am just learning maya because i have a course i am using it in. one of the assignments i need to use the lattice deformer to make a cylinder form to the shape of a plane blueprint.

i have created the cylinder and put the lattic around it, but when i go to move the lattice points, only the end points deform the cylinder, the rest doesn't deform it at all. i remember other people in my class had this problem, but i wasn't paying attention, so i was hoping someone could help me with the problem?

the basic steps i take are;
create the cylinder
rotate x 90 degrees
resize it for the body of the plane
i then select the cylinder and create the lattice
then i choose lattice points with only the lattice selected
move the lattice point, and the cylinder doesn't deform.

if needed i will attach screenshots, just hoping that someone could point out what i am doing wrong.

addition; just a note incase it matters, i am using polygons

Last edited by malkora; 18-07-2007 at 06:01 AM.
# 2 18-07-2007 , 12:40 PM
I´m not very fond of line modeling myself but it´s an intressting question, as long as it is an polygon now you should be able to deform it by moving the vertixes.

A picture might give us more insight. user added image

# 3 20-07-2007 , 09:56 AM
you have to increase the divisions of your lattice. in the channelBox look under SHAPES of your ffd1LatticeShape. there you can change the S, T and U divisions.

to deform a plane into a shape of a cylinder I´d rather use one of the non-linear deformers like Bend. you have to place the deformer (rotation/translation) to get the desired effect.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 20-07-2007 , 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Falott
you have to increase the divisions of your lattice. in the channelBox look under SHAPES of your ffd1LatticeShape. there you can change the S, T and U divisions.

to deform a plane into a shape of a cylinder I�d rather use one of the non-linear deformers like Bend. you have to place the deformer (rotation/translation) to get the desired effect.

i was able to figure it out, and it was similiar to what you suggested. instaed of adding divisions to the lattice i had to add divisions to the cylinder.

of course after it makes sense, can't deform where there are no vertices