Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 20-10-2007 , 02:41 AM
ah ok, i was just confused over the choice of subject matter, each to their own: crisp = potato chip in UK

# 17 20-10-2007 , 04:44 AM
No no no. You can not answer anything that includes "why". Because when it boils down, your asking what is the meaning of life. Think about it!

Lets see a render of the lid.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 18 20-10-2007 , 06:05 AM
makes me hungry....
nice job man!!!!user added image user added image user added image

You think you know, but you have no idea
# 19 20-10-2007 , 09:48 AM
Here's the closest I've been able to get to a proper looking lid but using a dielectric material just makes it too glassy looking. The hard part is making it look solid and not like an empty shell. So far, the dielectric material is the only thing that makes the lid look like a solid material.

I can get a really good looking lid by using the dielectric mat. and then duplicating the rim of the lid and applying a transparent yellowish brown color to the duplicate. It makes the rim of the lid look really good (rim is more opaque than the center of the lid). But again, the dielectric is way to reflective and I don't seem to be able to lower it. So, I'm beginning to think that using a dielectric is not an option.

I'm open to ideas if anybody has any.

Edit: Main problem with reflectivity is when I make the center of the lid concave.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 20 20-10-2007 , 10:39 AM
That material is actually pretty complicated. To get it look really realistic in needs glossy reflections (blurry) and also SSS.

# 21 20-10-2007 , 12:30 PM
Huge thanks DJbLAZER! Can't wait to give it a try.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 22 20-10-2007 , 03:30 PM

No no no. You can not answer anything that includes "why". Because when it boils down, your asking what is the meaning of life. Think about it!

You are missing my point entirely, there is a reason why you dont see CG pringles in galleries.

And of course i can ask why, this has nothing to do with the meaning of life. =)

Im not trying to be mean, im really not just broading the scope the C&C beyound the technical results which SHOULD become secondary in priority and in time taken in comparison to the idea.

In any case, its technically fine, i just think subject matter could be thought through a little more.

# 23 20-10-2007 , 04:20 PM
Acid44
if i were you id use a lambert for the lid cause the pringles lids have a kind of texuredt/bumpy look as far as i rememberuser added image

# 24 20-10-2007 , 04:36 PM

Originally posted by LauriePriest
You are missing my point entirely, there is a reason why you dont see CG pringles in galleries.

People don't really model food that much. Probably because of the crapload of textures you'd need for it to look realistic. It wouldn't be easy to texture an extra cheesy pizza with who knows what on it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 25 20-10-2007 , 04:42 PM
Missing the point again.

# 26 20-10-2007 , 05:09 PM
Lifetime Member
Laurie I think you are missing the point, as a subject it's not that exciting and not very creative but to a fairly new user this is a great texturing exercise and a way of discovering how to create some shaders in conjunction with lighting a scene to get the look and feel that is needed to simulate reality.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 27 20-10-2007 , 05:32 PM

Laurie I think you are missing the point, as a subject it's not that exciting and not very creative but to a fairly new user this is a great texturing exercise and a way of discovering how to create some shaders in conjunction with lighting a scene to get the look and feel that is needed to simulate reality.

I'm not disputing that at all, i just feel that people can be a little more imaginative. You can do all the things you just mentioned and more with a little thought, and at the same time approach artistic things like composition, styles of lighting the list goes on.

And when i say 'missing the point', i meant the point i was making not the point of the project, two different things. Take this as just C&C and an opinion which i am free to, not as some kind of attack, you can make what you want.

# 28 20-10-2007 , 05:53 PM
LauriePriest: I understand what you've been trying to say (at least I think so). I didn't put any thought into doing the pringles. It was a spur of the moment thing. I had a can in front of me and since I needed a small project to keep me busy for a few hours, it was perfect. I wasn't going after anything creative or interesting. Just an object to model, texture, and light. Although I admit the texturing was more challenging than I had anticipated.

jsprogg: You understand this project perfectly.

acid44: I'll give your suggestion a try too but I'm guessing it probably won't work very well. The lid is actually very smooth with a glossy look to it. However, it might work for the edge of the lid.

Exceed Expectations!
# 29 20-10-2007 , 05:55 PM
yay user added image! was all i was trying to say
didn't mean to start whole debate.

# 30 20-10-2007 , 06:34 PM
hehe

Exceed Expectations!