Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 31-03-2008 , 12:43 AM
yeah - it's looking very nice swil.

i might make the beginning (before the dam completely breaks apart) last a bit longer - just to help build the tension - but apart from that, this is looking awesome! user added image

# 47 31-03-2008 , 07:27 PM
Agree Arran - I was planning to do that in the composition phase. There I also want to include the earthquake that causes the dam to break.

So, the fun continues user added image

# 48 01-04-2008 , 12:55 PM
Subscriber
man thats some nice modelling there.., im wondering how you got the perspective??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 49 02-04-2008 , 09:54 PM
Thanks mirek03 user added image

The perspective is just the camera set up - focal length 10 mm.

I finally figured out what made Maya crash all the time. Actually it's pretty dumb on my part. It was the size of the fluid mesh. At the peak the mesh file was 100 MB big and the poly had more than 3 million faces. Maya ran into memory problems, hitting the hard limit of 1.6 GB. :blush:

Anyway, I reduced the resolution of the fluid mesh to 40 % of what I had and now the entire animation completes :attn:

Still some more days left to make the composition and the final render. Should be doable :bandit:

# 50 02-04-2008 , 11:57 PM
Soopa sweetuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 51 08-04-2008 , 02:47 AM
OK guys, this is it: Final render

For who's interested, here are some statistics.

It took around 12 hours of processing time to complete the fluid simulation in Realwave. Another 4 hours to generate the fluid meshes. The largest fluid mesh has around 1.2 million poly faces.
It took around 30 hours to render the scene in Maya
This all was done on an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 machine. With anything less I don't think I would have been able to do this.

There are still things I would like to improve, but unfortunately don't have the time for it.

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback and support user added image

# 52 08-04-2008 , 07:09 AM
Jr.Who
The only thing that really bugs me, is that the camera shakes too much.

Good job finishing it.
user added image

# 53 08-04-2008 , 11:15 AM
Good job Swil!

Now all you have to do is take a week off, then render it out to the size and format needed by the rules, and your gold!

Really good job bro!

I'm setting up the final shot submission thread nowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 54 09-04-2008 , 07:52 AM
Fantastic work!

Let me say first of all, that I couldn't even come close to doing what you have done here so please take this critique in light of that.

One issue, the water from Lake Mead drains off way to quickly. For the length of the clip, I doubt you would see much visible reduction in the water level.

# 55 09-04-2008 , 12:10 PM
Hey guys, no offense at all user added image

Your points are well taken. Camera shake is perhaps a bit heavy and indeed the water level drops fast.

I still had April 17th as closure date on my radar screen, so took some shortcuts there. If I can find the time in the upcoming week perhaps I'll make some small adjustments. Rendertime might be a bottleneck, though.

We'll see :bandit:

# 56 10-04-2008 , 02:13 AM
excellent work swil - this is looking very cool. definitely agree that the camerra shake is a bit too much and sort of starts and ends a bit abruptly. as dutch said the lake empties pretty quickly and also the water looked a little flat as it was spurting out - i wonder if it would be more broken up.

but having said that, this is really great work and i think you've done an amazing job. user added image