Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-08-2008 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber

Model loses shape after deleting faces!

I created a rough shape for a head and then selected the faces necessary to create an opening for the neck and hit Delete. The shape reverted back to its original cube-like shape. I immediately hit Undo and the faces returned however the head-like shape never returns! I continued to hit Undo and each time I did, the vertices returned to their original positions but the box remains.

Naturally, I had to start over, but just like before, as soon as I delete the faces, the result is the same ( as shown in figure 3).

I've never had a problem like this before. I quit Maya and opened files I recently created and performed the same operation and nothing like this happens. Could I have accidently turned on a preference setting or something for this particular Scene?

TIA
user added image

# 2 08-08-2008 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
I found, it doesn't matter what I do with this shape, it reverts to its original primitive form.

I tried Freeze Trans and same problem.

But, I created a new primitive and pushed & pulled a few vertices, switched to Faces and deleted one and the object held its shape!

So what is it about the head that causes it to lose its shape when I attempt to run a command on it?

Baffling...

# 3 08-08-2008 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Take a look at the Hypergraph Connections info for the head shape, which is indicated by the info circled in red. The purple connection is for the lantern-like shape I created.

The lantern shape was created from a poly sphere, wherein I deleted one of its faces and it maintained its shape.

user added image

# 4 08-08-2008 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber
Okay, I think I've solved my problem...

I initially Set my project to point to the files associated with the particular tute I'm working with and that probably caused my problems.

I started over and created a New set of project files and the problem no longer occurs.

# 5 08-08-2008 , 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Could have been a history issue I dunno, never had that happen. /shrug

- Genny