Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 04-04-2010 , 06:07 PM
19 year Veteran
We didn't use anything but Maya for that last one; however, maybe you can persuade Jay to give in a little Mayaniac.

Keep your spirits up mate!user added image

# 47 04-04-2010 , 06:18 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by THX1138
We didn't use anything but Maya for that last one; however, maybe you can persuade Jay to give in a little Mayaniac.

Keep your spirits up mate!user added image

hehe, yeah. It's just that anything I work on at the moment, I try to get to a level where I can start putting things into a portfolio. It probably wont matter what two words I use, I will most likely end up modeling a character, or a creature, and not being able to use ZB is going to be (in this day and age) like modeling with one arm.... pressing the keys with your hand and moving/operating the mouse with your elbow. :hug:

But we'll see.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 48 04-04-2010 , 06:52 PM
19 year Veteran
I think people have relied on mudbox and Z-brush so much that good old fashion modeling has become somewhat of a obsolete thing.

This might be a good thing to add to your portfolio.

I don't have mudbox or Z-Brush, and I really haven't touched my maya for about a year. So I'm hoping I can manage something decent.

# 49 04-04-2010 , 09:49 PM
Yes, but compared with todays standards, a lot of standard models get overlooked.

If someone created a sweet looking creature in Maya, sure it might be nice, but compared to someone who made the exact same creature in ZB. The ZB model would have twice as much details, could have been created in half as much time, and have just as good edge-loops.

In the process of just creating a creature, the person using ZB has set themselves up for a lot shorter production time. When they Zbrusher uses his production (base) mesh for the animation, he'll have all the details for Disp. maps right there. He could even paint his textures right there in ZB. And even if he used PS to help (which is likely) he can edit the textures in real-time in ZB, paint out the seams and everything.

Now, if the Maya-guy wants to even get close to the details that the Zbrusher is achieving, he's gonna have to use Disp. maps.... as he doesn't have a source pre-built, he'll have to hand paint Disp. maps, or use his diffuse as a source (not practical, lacking in details). Now like the Zbrusher, he'll use PS for editing/creating his diffuse maps, but editing them is going to be a pain. The seams will be a lot harder to manage, and real-time editing isn't an option.... in fact he will probably opt for a 3rd party app to achieve all of this for him.... most likely ZBrush, or Mudbox, or another app where he can create all the hi-res details he wants, which won't only come in handy for the Disp. Map, but also for the diffuse, and also somewhere he can edit his textures.

The Zbrush route makes sense to me.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 50 04-04-2010 , 10:40 PM
19 year Veteran
I completely understand, it's not practical to just work from basic modeling apps anymore now days. Companies want faster production flow. Thats pretty much a no-brainer.

However, your missing the point of this challenge. It's all about what you can create from just one basic modeling app. It's just something fun to do. Try not to take it too serious mate. user added image

# 51 04-04-2010 , 10:49 PM

However, your missing the point of this challenge. It's all about what you can create from just one basic modeling app. It's just something fun to do. Try not to take it too serious mate. user added image

I know, I was just making a case for ZB :bandit:

But, yeah, I can see the benefits, helping people hone their core-modeling skills. Plus if the comp has a 1 month limit, I suppose the time constraints won't be an issue.
Cheers user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 52 04-04-2010 , 11:00 PM
19 year Veteran
All comps here are 2 months long. Some run a little bit longer.

# 53 04-04-2010 , 11:11 PM

All comps here are 2 months long. Some run a little bit longer.

Well, in that case shouldn't have a problem with time. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 54 05-04-2010 , 12:01 AM
19 year Veteran
Is 2 months long enough or too short?

# 55 05-04-2010 , 10:38 AM

Is 2 months long enough or too short?

Plenty of time... I thought they only ran for a month.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 56 05-04-2010 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
Im in (assuming my computer doesnt explode or set on fire or pull me in to an alternate dimension of evil whilst my family is terrorised by ghosts)

I remember last time round, but i sucked back then so it'd be a good chance to redeem myself for that failure

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 57 05-04-2010 , 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Some Guy
Im in (assuming my computer doesnt explode or set on fire or pull me in to an alternate dimension of evil whilst my family is terrorised by ghosts)

I hate it when that happens...

Looks like a fair few people are going to be entering.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 58 05-04-2010 , 07:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
I personally think 2 months is much too long. From my perspective, (trying to learn as much as possible in a diversity of areas) I don't want to get stuck in a single project for that long, and the chances of me finishing it will be less. 2 weeks or a month would be more ideal for me, but that's just my opinion.

# 59 06-04-2010 , 12:18 AM
19 year Veteran
Well then, just do it in 2 weeks then submit the final when the deadline is up. No point in working on it for 2 months if your going lose interest and quit.

# 60 06-04-2010 , 12:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
The main reason the challenges here are so long is that... well... to be frank, hardly anyone finishes. (not to lessen the gratitude I have for those who do!)