Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-05-2011 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber

Disappearing Geometry on Render

Hello all. I haven't been working with Maya for a while and had a client ask me to help them with a visual simulation of a wind turbine farm. I was able to find a turbine very similar to what I needed to model on Turbosquid and bought the item. $10.00 saved my a few hours of modeling. I had to make changes to the body, and modeled that myself.

My problem is when I render, everything from the base model disappears. What I modeled renders. Playing around with the problem I discovered that all the geometry disappears also when I use the high quality renderer on the screen. The file was originally a FBX file. Somewhere in the mix, I think I am missing a setting making the item not render. I created a new Blinn and modeled everything with the same Blinn with the same result, so I don't think it is the material.

I have imported the file into 3DS and all components render fine. I hate 3DS and would much rather work in Maya 2008. Any ideas?

ps.... I haven't been doing much in Maya for about 2 years. I used to post here quite often, but have unfortunately forgotten more then I remember. Argh. I know I'll get some great help here. Thanks.

# 2 10-05-2011 , 07:24 PM
The Nurb Herd
how about exporting the model again. maybe an OBJ or .ma.

# 3 11-05-2011 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber

I'll give it a shot. Its funny, but it all looks great in 3DS. I just don't know how to do some of the visual effects I'll need to do in 3DS...plus I need to go work with a friend who has 3DS.

# 4 13-05-2011 , 04:27 PM
Subscriber

Honestdom.....no offense but I thought that was a pretty hookey idea. IT WORKED.

I freaking hate Maya. No other software would that work. Thanks for what turned out to be a great idea! You've earned a Dancing Bananas imoticon, there just isn't one.