Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-07-2011 , 04:15 PM

Best way to model this organic image

Hey guys, so i decided to model this fella, (i attached an image) and i also attached an image of my attempt, ive never been good with organic modeling, how would I go about modelling this guy? i was just moving around vertices but theres more than one way to skin a cat.. any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-07-2011 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
It looks like youve gone in and tried to model a small area in quite a specific and detailed way. Id say if you're not confident with organic modelling, it might be better if you 'blocked' it out a bit first, with simple shapes, and then once you felt you had a feel for it, and could see in it what you wanted, then go in and start trying to add more detail.

# 3 13-07-2011 , 08:29 PM
Very ambitious project...

Why not start off smaller? Start with a turtle, fish, and work your way up. Yes it will look a little bit bad (you should see my first attempt at organic modeling of a turtle. I still suck at organic, but I do try).

Its always a good idea to block it out first with simple shapes, then add details later. For this kind of project, I would rather be comfortable with organic modeling and bringing it in Zbrush/Mudbox to add details.

Good luck! :-)

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 4 13-07-2011 , 10:37 PM
To me this seems to be more of a Zbrush or Mudbox project. Use maya to block out the basic form (low poly) then bring it into ZBrush or Mudbox to add all the serious detail as it is much easier to sculpt then model by pushing and pulling components in Maya.

edit:

Finally, generate normal maps and assign those maps to the low poly model back in Maya.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 14-07-2011 at 03:44 AM.
# 5 14-07-2011 , 12:24 AM
well the models in zbrush cause my maya to lag up extremely bad because of the high poly count.

# 6 14-07-2011 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
dont export the really high poly models from z straight back to Maya. The idea mentioned is that you build the basic form of the model in Maya, and then export that to Zbrush. Then you can subdivide it to sculpt it at higher polycounts. If then you want to bring that back to Maya, you can use normal and/or displacement maps to try and carry back the high resolution detail from Zbrush, while having a low enough polycount model to not cause problems for Maya. Try having a search for 'Maya ZBrush Workflow' on google.

# 7 14-07-2011 , 03:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Im with the rest...basic shapes...I use polysculpt in Maya with my tablet on terrain etc...you could try that then export to Z.....Im no expert but from what I have seen the basic mesh then to Z to sculpt proper....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes