Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-08-2011 , 08:35 AM

Low poly game environments?

Anybody have seen any tutorials around for creating game levels without too many polygons? eg for smartphone games..I was searching the other day and only found about massive game levels with millions of polygons for import into Unreal...any links/ideas?

# 2 17-02-2012 , 03:14 PM
Lifetime Member
Maybe this thread is a tide out dated, but here goes. I've been looking at some tutorials and honestly (and maybe that's why you haven't gotten a reply yet), is really entirely up to you. As long you don't model million of polygon walls and pipes, always keeping it simple is all good.

I'm reading this book I bought in Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Creating-Games.../dp/B005A3K4NK

It uses Maya to model all assets, character, environment, assets and then once the modeling stage is done, it shows you how to import into Unity, then some javascript for the controls and the result is you having your own game. It is taught by a Professor, you have homeworks to do, etc etc. All in a book.

I am loving this book and I think if you are into Maya and Unity, this is a must book to get for any beginner.
A warning note though..... don't expect the book to show you how to model all assets, it shows you the starting point, then the rest is up to you.

However, if you are not bother to model at all, you can download all the assets from the book website, you can even download the finished game that the book has taught you and have a play for the look and feel.
Finished Game: https://www.creating3dgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238

All the tutorials eventually guides you exactly towards the finished game. It is for MAC and PC.
You can follow and copy or you can come up with your own style. Entirely up to you.
Highly recommended.

Last edited by cgisoul; 17-02-2012 at 03:23 PM.