Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 13-01-2012 , 09:27 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 17 13-01-2012 , 10:33 PM
Noober than noob

Google searches are usually faster than asking about something basic like this. Chances are many other people have had the same problem.

05 Rendering stereo 3D in Maya for compositing - YouTube

Thank you for the video tutorial.

I did google for some other things. Only that I'm not sure if I have googled for the right thing: animating camera zoom in Maya / recording camera zoom / recording or animating camera focus... nothing that I really found useful, as I'd like to record a precise value in Attribute Editor to the keyframe. I found something with recording camera dolly, but for some odd reason, it just doesn't work that way for me. Seems all they did was dolly the camera and record keyframe. O_o What if I want to toggle the toe in adjustment with keyframes?

# 18 14-01-2012 , 12:12 AM
Technical Director
Right click on the attribute in the attribute editor and click "Set Key". Move to a different frame, and do it again. Modify the keys in the graph editor.

Camera zoom is just changing the focal length. (Hence an 80-200 mm zoom lens)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 14-01-2012 at 12:15 AM.
# 19 14-01-2012 , 12:54 AM
Noober than noob

Right click on the attribute in the attribute editor and click "Set Key". Move to a different frame, and do it again. Modify the keys in the graph editor.

Camera zoom is just changing the focal length. (Hence an 80-200 mm zoom lens)

Yeah, I was just selecting the camera, modifying the attribute and then hitting S on the keyboard. I thought it worked just like normal motion.
Thanks, so that's what I was doing wrong. I didn't know that I could set key from the attribute's name.

# 20 14-01-2012 , 01:34 AM
EduSciVis-er
Hitting 's' is generally a poor way of setting keyframes (just FYI). It keys all translate, rotate, and scale channels, and nothing else (though you can change that in the prefs). It gives you keys you don't really need usually.
Shift w, e, and r will key just the transform channels for translate, rotate, or scale, respectively. For other attributes, key them in the attribute editor like NextDesign mentioned.

# 21 14-01-2012 , 12:50 PM
Noober than noob

Hitting 's' is generally a poor way of setting keyframes (just FYI). It keys all translate, rotate, and scale channels, and nothing else (though you can change that in the prefs). It gives you keys you don't really need usually.
Shift w, e, and r will key just the transform channels for translate, rotate, or scale, respectively. For other attributes, key them in the attribute editor like NextDesign mentioned.

I was hitting S just because it's what I've learned from a tutorial on recording animation of stuff. It didn't cover the attribute keying.
Yeah, now I can finally continue the camera navigation through the solar system, because I needed the zoom-in effect without moving the camera.

# 22 14-01-2012 , 03:20 PM
EduSciVis-er
's' is good when you're starting out in maya, but now that you're getting into more advanced things, you can decide for yourself when you actually need to key all of translate, rotate and scale.