Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 05-03-2012 , 07:13 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Sea Lion

Hi all, long time no sea lion
I decided to pick this back up after about 18 months away. I decided to get straight on with texturing rather than continuing to model in the hope that I might actually finish it. I also decided to give Mudbox a whirl since Autodesk give software to students free.

I haven't really done anything on the body, I've been concentrating on the head:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-03-2012 , 08:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Looks good mate...knew who it was before I even opened the thread LOL....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 05-03-2012 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
looking pretty good user added image

# 4 10-04-2012 , 12:23 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Thanks user added image
This is my first attempt really at actually making a final image and at the moment I'm just glad I finished something for once. I didn't do as much work on it as I could with the aim of actually finishing it but criticism is still most definitely welcome, particularly since I haven't really tried rendering or posing anything before. This was also my first attempt at texturing in mubox, which I really enjoyed I think, I would have liked to have worked on that aspect for a bit longer I thought I was never going to finish it then.
I also feel like I've gotten to the point where I can't look at the image anymore objectively or subjectively, it's just an array of pixels now...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by elephantinc; 10-04-2012 at 12:27 AM.
# 5 10-04-2012 , 01:56 AM
EduSciVis-er
That looks really nice, good job on finishing a render user added image
If I was to crit (which I will) I think there's not enough contrast so it looks a bit flat; it could use some more shadowing or ambient occlusion in the flippers etc.

PS Check out my BMC project thread for an elephant photo I posted for you user added image

# 6 10-04-2012 , 02:01 AM
Lifetime Member
nicely done mate...I agree with stwert it looks a little flat.....well done though for finishing something...LOL I wish I could finish half my stuff. Maybe just a pip of a sand bottom to show it off?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 13-04-2012 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber

Attached Images
# 8 15-04-2012 , 03:06 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I'm definitely going to have another crack at this render.
I went to a programming event in london and before hand I decided to go the the natural history museum, outside of which they had an animal photography exhibit and one of the photos was a lot like the image I originally imagined, so I think I'm going to try to use that to help improve the image too.
I never thought I'd say this, but this image has much more elephant than my render.
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-...07&category=45
Do you know how to create the fish eye lens effect?

PS Check out my BMC project thread for an elephant photo I posted for you user added image

user added image
I've never met an elephant...

@taquion

xD
/This/ is why we need a space program.

# 9 15-04-2012 , 03:24 AM
EduSciVis-er
If the renderer is accurate, changing the focal length of the camera should be all that's necessary.

# 10 27-09-2012 , 10:59 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I've been working on this for a while, mainly because final render times are now in the order of days (thanks to my incompetence with the volume caustics) and I think it needs fresh (and better) eyes at this point.
I think the caustics and DOF still need to be different but I'm not sure how they should be different and it takes too long to render to continue changing things at random.

user added image

# 11 27-09-2012 , 11:58 PM
You should throw this in the cryengine. You would get realtime GI and Caustics. And it is free....

# 12 28-09-2012 , 07:43 AM
The thin red line
That looks nice elephantinc but those render times sound horrible..................dave

# 13 28-09-2012 , 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
That looks pretty cool, I like your choice of palette. The things that I have to crit are the dof and framing, the bubbles are fighting the seal to be the focus of the image.

- Genny
# 14 28-09-2012 , 01:49 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Thanks a lot for the criticism user added image

That looks pretty cool, I like your choice of palette. The things that I have to crit are the dof and framing, the bubbles are fighting the seal to be the focus of the image.

Do you think it would be better if the camera was closer to the sea lion (with the sea lion's face in the centre)?
Also, do you think the area that's in focus should be smaller?

# 15 28-09-2012 , 02:11 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think the DOF is pretty good in terms of the actual depth. I wouldn't put the face in the center, use the rule of thirds, and give the sea lion some looking room.

Attached Thumbnails