Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-06-2012 , 01:55 AM

Single Apartment for set extension

Well, my Tetris video has been postponed again in lieu of a musical commissioned by Sega user added image

For starters, I'm making a bunch of simple hanging lights.

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 2 10-06-2012 , 04:50 AM
Textured version. Not bad. It'll have to do. I have to have the apartment modeled in two weeks, ready for camera tracking of two minutes worth of moving greenscreen footage... so, moving on.

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 3 10-06-2012 , 07:20 AM
picture frame beginnings. I'm gonna need a ton of unique frames for this project so, strangely, quantity > quality :<

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 4 10-06-2012 , 07:41 PM
another frame

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 5 22-06-2012 , 02:35 AM
been gone a while. Here's some stuff I've been working on.

Also, here's a reference img. user added image

Problem is I've got this rendering for 43 seconds on medium MR quality, at 720p, when I need to be able to crank out renders @ 10s per frame. This is mostly due o the numerous ligh sources, but those light sources are what are lighting the hanging lamps. Ideas for optimization? Should I optimize now as I go, or when I'm done?

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 6 22-06-2012 , 08:11 AM
The thin red line
You could bake some of the light effects on the textures like floor and walls, the lights you could use just glow then make instances of them then you should need one or two area lights?...........dave

# 7 22-06-2012 , 12:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, don't use one light per light fixture. I think just luminance in the material would sell the effect, although I'm no lighting expert.

# 8 24-06-2012 , 01:56 PM
Lifetime Member
yeh I think there are way too many lights man, even for historical stuff. Maybe try a 5 point setup, like dice, that would be the way to go.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 25-06-2012 , 02:21 AM
Done. It's rendering faster now. The lamps are self illuminated and I'm using an area light facing down from the lamp positions to light underneath, and one above to light the ceiling, then I'm using of course one area light at the window. As for the number of lights (not light sources, but physical, modeled lights), that's what the location requires in that I'm doing a short about a game, and the reference above is what the location looks like.

We just shot the greenscreen footage yesterday, and it looks like the rendering won't be as much of a problem as there are fewer moving shots now, and fewer individual shots overall. We'll see what happens.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 10 25-06-2012 , 02:51 AM
look forward to your finished work,it should be good according to your preliminary work.

# 11 26-06-2012 , 03:26 AM
A couple renders. I don't have any time left so I've just gotta use as is at this point, me-thinks. It's at an acceptable place with a million problems that simply can't be fixed in time.

Attached Thumbnails

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 12 26-06-2012 , 01:59 PM
Technical Director
Since the light is diffused from each light-source, why don't you just use one large area light? It might be faster to render.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 13 26-06-2012 , 05:37 PM
@Next the renders above are doing that... well, mostly. I wanted control of the light going up, down, and I've got a centered point light for specific shadows I wanted.

Anyway, I'm on to animating and have run into a snag. I'm trying to get an image plane with the chromakeyed actor into the scene's viewport so I can use it as a reference an export the attached null and camera from Maya to AE. My issue is the movie won't play in the viewport. I've had trouble w/ image sequences before, and read up on the issue. Using a movie node into a lambert, I've used tiff and png, the base name is C1Clip193.####.ext. I've got Use Image Sequence checked, even manually removed the expression for img # and replaced with linear keyframes with identical, start at zero timeline and tried with caching on and off in normal and high q modes. It renders the right frame but I don't want the render, just the viewport. The viewport sticks to frame zero.

With a stupid tight deadline I'm kinda going insane....

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 14 27-06-2012 , 06:37 AM
First bits of footage. Woot! 6.5 million issues with it, including having to render 720p with patheticly visible AA artifacts just so I can get everything out on time. I'll be revisiting these scenes later just to figure out how to optimize them. I'll probably post some .ma files for people to look at too, just in case. The "3D" paris effect is intentional... it's supposed to have a 2.5D feel too it, like the game itself. Here's to 24 hours of rendering about to start!

193 baked 1 1 - YouTube

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 15 27-06-2012 , 04:38 PM
Update: Render times are going to screw me. Esp. Since I have to go to VidCon and Anime Expo this weekend instead of render for the Tuesday deadline.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer