Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-11-2012 , 07:35 PM

Topology help

Hey fellow SM's,

I am having a brain dead moment and it's quite simple I'm sure but I'm just having a senior moment I think.

Anyway I have attached an image of what I'm having issues with. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Seanuser added imageuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-11-2012 , 07:36 PM
Oh yeah there is also an n-gon I forgot to highlight by the nose.

# 3 09-11-2012 , 07:03 AM
Can you explain your problem ??

# 4 13-11-2012 , 05:13 AM
The problem is that you have too many edges. If you were to delete a couple it would all be solved. Look at the mouth as a example. Do you really need that many vertical edges?

# 5 13-11-2012 , 05:53 AM
Technical Director
Actually, the mesh density looks fine, you just need to cut in a few loops, and redirect some others. If you're going to animate this, you'd definitely need those extra edges around the mouth.

See my paint-over here:
user added image

Red: Create a loop
Green: Delete an edge
Blue: Suggestions for movement of the edges. You usually want your faces to be a square as possible, and have their sizes evenly distributed across the mesh.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.