Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 22-12-2012 , 03:08 PM
We're in the next stage of our assignment now where we have to animate. For some reason I can't add color to those parts you see grey.

user added image

No idea what I did wrong while modelling. I must have messed up with material along the way. Right now I am trying to add new material to those grey areas, or assign them to already made materials but nothing works. Anyone any idea what I could have done wrong or how to fix it? user added image

# 17 22-12-2012 , 03:56 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
has it got properly laid out uvs?

J

# 18 22-12-2012 , 04:01 PM
Hi. How would I check this out?

# 19 23-12-2012 , 07:35 AM
Technical Director
Ermmm... You should have learned this before they told you to paint textures...

Anyways, you need to make sure that each edge in the UV texture editor does not cross another. This is the process of UV unwrapping.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 20 23-12-2012 , 02:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
oh dear, what are they teaching these guys out there?

# 21 23-12-2012 , 05:03 PM
I am wondering the same thing...

# 22 02-01-2013 , 04:11 PM
There is a wonderful tutorial on Digital Tutors (hope that's okay to post Mods) that you should check out. Low poly character that can then be imported to Mudbox for final uv detailing. It's the tut I've been following for a few weeks and its simply how to model a female character for animation. The reference drawing is not the greatest, but the end result is quite good even for a beginner's go at the process.

The other posters here are correct. You need to really take your time. I'm a professional artist (2d) just learning soft modelling, and I went in and, before I even began the 3d attempt or tutorial, studied up on my female anatomy for 6 weeks, then spent another 4 weeks rendering out my reference image.

It's not everybody's approach, but I wanted my end result to be as close to perfect as will be possible. Even there I'm taking my own sweet time with the tutorial and have gone through three start to finish attempts before I finally started getting the knack of it...and still have a long way to go as I'm on my fourth base mesh build at this point.

Keep at it. It's not a piece of cake.

# 23 02-03-2013 , 12:57 AM
Thanks to all that replied here, you were all helpful, thank you. I feel I should tell you the model in the end wasn't great, one major problem was a gimbal lock problem that I just wasn't able to rectify. But I suppose it's all part of the learning curve.