Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-04-2013 , 06:43 PM

Rendering Ambient Occlusion

Hello,

i'm currently trying to render an ambient occlusion of my scene, so i followed this tutorial:

Rendering An Ambient Occlusion Pass In Maya 2012 - YouTube

I actually have Maya 2013, so when i tried to render after making the steps on the tutorial (select all objects, new layer, presets > occlusion, render settings ambient occlusion "on", etc), i got this result:

user added image

Everything is grey. I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Diana

# 2 09-04-2013 , 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
That is strange. Is it possible to upload the scene, or at least enough of it to check out whats going on?

Edit: Never mind that. I just thought of something. If your scene is enveloped by geometry and then you need a value that isn't zero for the max distance on the AO node, otherwise the geometry enclosing the scene will occlude everything.

- Genny

Last edited by Gen; 09-04-2013 at 07:58 PM.
# 3 10-04-2013 , 02:25 PM
Hello Gen,

I tried those settings at the right of the image:

user added image

I once tried to do ambient occlusion and i think it was fine on this scene, but then i forgot what i did differently from this time that the result is all objects being uniform grey. :S I have like 3 point lights on the scene and i have the ambient occlusion "on" on the settings.

I don't know what i could be doing wrong user added image sorry i'm new to maya.

In the image now isn't all grey because the sphere containing that grey object isn't with the ambient occlusion "material"/layer. If it was i'd have the same result as my first post, everything grey. So now we can see my object grey, and the sphere room white. But still isn't making the AO.

# 4 10-04-2013 , 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I want to take a look at the scene. Beats bumping around in the dark.

- Genny