Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-10-2013 , 07:49 PM

Making a door insert/frame

Hi everyone!
I'm new here so I apologize if this is placed in the wrong section. I tried searching for the answer I'm looking for but sadly cannot find any help user added image

I'm currently in college and one of the courses I'm taking at the moment is for 3D modeling. We are using Maya, of course. I'm having a lot of trouble with my professor as he explains how to model very quickly and I cannot keep up. He also tends to teach methods that are different from others who post tutorials on the internet. So here is what I need help with:

I need to know how to model a door frame/insert for the door that will be on my building/house that we are creating for my midterm. Basically what he wants us to do is to select the faces of the doorway we created, invert the selection, delete, and use that as the basic outline of the door frame. Then, after we have removed any edge loops on it, we are to extrude out the sides and then extrude inside of it to make a "flange" as he called it. Then he did all kinds of splitting, merging, and just sooooo much technical work compared to how everyone else models it. So, i'm completely lost! I'll upload screenshots of how he did it.

I'm sure this is very simple and i'm just making it harder than it needs to be. I'm just having a hard time getting it to extrude the way he has it and all of my notes aren't making sense user added image Please help! I'd really appreciate it! And if you have any easier way of doing this please let me know!

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 13-10-2013 , 05:34 AM
Are those images of the instructors model for you to use as a reference?

Are you expected to use the same workflow? (There are many ways to approach this)

For instance you can..

Google for images of door frames then..

1. start with the door and use its geometry to build the frame and the frame geo to build the walls in a way similar to what you have described above

2. start with a profile of the frame and extrude the frame, then use its geo to build the door and the walls

It is very hard to give you step by step written instructions and I am not sure what your level of skill in maya is so trying to do this quickly a video might leave you as confused as your instructor.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 13-10-2013 , 05:58 AM
Lifetime Member
Its quite simple ans I am with ctbram, there are so many ways to do this. I would however build the walls etc first, then you are left with the door opening cutouts. I wouls then select 3 faces in the cutout, there is no door frame on a floor. Then duplicate these faces, then use extrudes to create you door frame and door.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes