Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-02-2014 , 01:32 AM

Having problems using hair system

Hi everyone, I'm following this tutorial on modeling hair: https://www.digitaltutors.com/tutoria...with-Maya-Hair

And well, I've completely hit a roadblock. Here are the steps I took:

1. Created a NURBS hair surface to make a basic blocked out shape.

2. Ran many CV curves down the NURBS object - these curves would be where the hairs grow out.

3. Created a simple plane, selected it and clicked "Create Hair" under the Hair tab. Hairs grew out of the plane, and therefore I now have a new hair system called "hairSystemShape1".

user added image

4. Selected all the CV curves of my soon-to-be hair. Clicked "To Hair Systems" so that I could select the new hairSystemShape1 system to assign to my CV curves.

user added image

5. Nothing happens at all. No hairs grow out and I'm not shown any option to select a hair system.

I desperately need help on this since it's due in a week. I'm not sure if this has to do with the problem, but the tutorial I'm following seems to be an earlier version than 2013, which is what I'm using.

# 2 23-02-2014 , 03:15 AM
Subscriber
Looking at the screen shot you have the nurbs surface selected aswell - that will not work. Hide or delet it as you only need it to create the hair curves.

Thats the tut I used for my hair on my current challenage entry in the doom 3 comp here. I am using Maya 2014 sp2 with no issues.

Try just applying it to just a few curves first and then repeat if worked.

Also something not covered in the tut is make sure the curve runs from root to tip and you get funky resualts if the curve was running the other way. Failing that post your scene and I will have a look for you.

# 3 23-02-2014 , 03:57 AM
Thank you for your reply. I already tried it without having the NURBS surface selected (sorry my screenshot was misleading in that regard). Nothing happened at all, no hair grew out. I also just tried selecting only a few curves like you mentioned, and hair still isn't growing.

I attached a zip file of my model for closer viewing. Again, thank you for your time.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Hair WIP.zip (140.5 KB, 480 views)
# 4 23-02-2014 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber
Ok first things first - the hair in your file works fine.

The button you have highlighted is not the right thing to use.

Select the curves on the surface and "duplicate surface curves" . Then hide the surface on a layer - trust me this makes life easier after when editing the shape of your hair. Now with these new curves select them and go to "Nhair > Assign Hair system > hairsystem1" (see image). But all of the above advise is also covered in part 6 of that training course at about 5:10. If you follow the training you can get some great results but it does take some practice.

user added image

And I am still learning (forgive the face - still working on the SS shatter)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 23-02-2014 at 04:02 PM.
# 5 24-02-2014 , 12:23 AM

Ok first things first - the hair in your file works fine.

The button you have highlighted is not the right thing to use.

Select the curves on the surface and "duplicate surface curves" . Then hide the surface on a layer - trust me this makes life easier after when editing the shape of your hair. Now with these new curves select them and go to "Nhair > Assign Hair system > hairsystem1" (see image). But all of the above advise is also covered in part 6 of that training course at about 5:10. If you follow the training you can get some great results but it does take some practice.

user added image

And I am still learning (forgive the face - still working on the SS shatter)

Oh my gosh, you're a savior. It worked. Thanks so much! user added image

# 6 24-02-2014 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber
No probs man - its hard to find good info on nhair and u just really lucky that I just gone thought it all myself and feel your pain.

You will have to let us know how you get on and anything else hit me up and I can see if I can help you out.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 24-02-2014 at 03:15 PM.
# 7 08-09-2014 , 12:58 AM
holy shit, pardon my lang. you just saved me from freaking out from frustration. thanks man or lass. this thread was a stumble upon for answers with Maya Hair. im using that very same tutorial