Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-05-2014 , 12:29 AM

Sharp Edge Diffuse

Hey there

As you can see in this image, there is a sharp edge that causes an aggressive contrast on the object.

I've been wrestling with this thing for a while now, I've tried a bunch of different things, changing all the normals, adding edges and vertices, and a bunch of other random things, to no avail.

Would anyone be able to fill me with the juicy knowledge?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ThreeFro; 08-05-2014 at 05:41 AM.
# 2 08-05-2014 , 11:49 AM
EduSciVis-er
Could it be that its a reflection? Looks like there could be a wall and floor and then empty space.

# 3 08-05-2014 , 12:24 PM
The thin red line
Select the mesh then press the "3" button do you still have that line............dave

# 4 08-05-2014 , 10:39 PM

Could it be that its a reflection? Looks like there could be a wall and floor and then empty space.

Ahhh I'm afraid it isn't that, though it is an interesting thing to keep an eye on, thank you!

# 5 08-05-2014 , 10:41 PM

Select the mesh then press the "3" button do you still have that line............dave

Ahhh I'm afraid so. Even when properly smoothed it remains.
But thank you anyway!
It sucks cause I have learnt how to improve on the model since I made it, but I cannot remake it, I don't have the time frame, curses!