Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-05-2014 , 02:47 AM

Render each object to a layer in photoshop

Ok, I know this is a beginner question, and I've actually done this before, I just can't for some reason remember how.

What I need to do is render each object in the scene to a different photoshop layer. Each layer much keep the shadows cast on it from the other objects. I really can't remember what the process is for this, and Google isn't helping much. I'd like to do this with mental ray also, if possible.

I've tried putting each object on a different render layer, and selecting "render all layers" - but this renders each layer separately - which is not what I want.

Thanks much for the help in advance.

# 2 02-06-2014 , 04:02 AM
Anyone? I've having a devil of a time figuring out how to do this, and I really need it done for the project I'm working on...

# 3 20-06-2014 , 01:02 AM
One more bump. Doesn't anyone know how this is done?

# 4 20-06-2014 , 03:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't think this is simple task, at least I don't know of a super quick and easy way. You could create a render layer for each object, or more likely create a pass contribution map for each object (can't remember the details for the latter, so you'll have to do some googling). Then when you render you will get an image for each and you can open all the images as layers into PS (there's a built in script for this: File > Scripts > Load files into stack) I believe.

# 5 17-10-2014 , 08:03 AM
Banned

Hafiz Gee

What I need to do is render each object in the scene to a different photoshop layer. Each layer much keep the shadows cast on it from the other objects. I really can't remember what the process is for this, and Google isn't helping much. I'd like to do this with mental ray also, if possible.