Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 301 09-04-2014 , 04:43 PM
Been quiet as of late. A couple arch-vis snaps I have been doing. The first has grain since I only did progressive for a little while. Too impatient. Since I am selling both the BG is white for that reason.

Attached Thumbnails
# 302 10-04-2014 , 03:10 AM
The Nurb Herd
hey man the spec on that second images is pretty crazy. It's like everything is a mirror. You should maybe try to break it up a bit.

Also I'd probably add some dust to the rafters.

# 303 10-04-2014 , 04:39 PM
Yea I am not really going for realism too much. The spec helps grab someone eye when it is a small render. The model and UV are there and I just chuck it in and render in about 10 min. At first I rendered a little bit more careful but after 1,000 items I just started chucking a gray spec on most stuff. Takes time to tweak and I just don't have time for that when I have about 6,000 things total to run through. I do appreciate the tips though. I might put one of them in Maxwell one of these days and tweak. I also look forward to the new PBS in Cryengine this next month. UE4 cam out with it. You should check it out. Combine that with Quixel Megascans and it makes me wonder what you can pull off in real-time.

Attached Images

Last edited by CollinBishop; 10-04-2014 at 04:55 PM.
# 304 11-04-2014 , 05:25 AM
The Nurb Herd
ha, yeah I work in film so not really sure what any of those things are. I'm always amazed with games though. They all look great to me.

...I only meant using a map for some dust user added image

# 305 17-05-2014 , 03:11 AM
Here is one of a tube train that is gonna go up in the next day or so. Only big problem I have is the UV's on the inside are flipped on the decals. But will be fixed in the file. Shadows could be better but inside was already too high of a render my impatient self.

Attached Thumbnails
# 306 22-05-2014 , 02:44 PM
Been doing an archvis job lately and have been testing grass. Is all real-time and moves when you walk through it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 307 24-05-2014 , 07:30 PM
are all pictures on this page made in zbrush?
well done on all the you made man, gets me inspired to learn sculpting user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 308 25-05-2014 , 01:17 PM
Skalman,

No not all of the pictures are done in ZBrush. A good amount of them are. I try and sculpt things at a minimum if I can given that if I can pull maps out of a tiled texture I will. Here is some real-time PADM (Pixel Accurate Displacement Mapping) in Cryengine that I have been testing out for this job I am contracted on. I got tired of rendering so I have sacrificed some quality to get visuals at a faster rate. Given the introduction of a BRDF (Bidirectional reflectance distribution function) pipeline in game engines this should look better in the upcoming months. The app used to make the maps is called Knald and is priced at $100.

The nice thing about POM now is they have introduced a silhouette feature that allows for a distorted silhouette on something that is truly flat or just rounded.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CollinBishop; 25-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.
# 309 25-05-2014 , 04:27 PM
The thin red line
Colin does that distorted silhouette function work in maya or will that only be for some game engines............dave

# 310 25-05-2014 , 05:05 PM
I believe that Cryengine developed the PADM process solely on their end. But the parallax is available in a cgfx shader for Maya just without the silhouette. Is a good cheap way to get displace effects without killing your machine.

CgFX Parallax shader in Maya - YouTube

# 311 26-05-2014 , 10:08 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Some nicer stuff going on now.....

I love the tube train, though I think some gum stuck on the floor and particularly the seats would add to the realism user added image

but the last couple of images are looking very nice

J

# 312 16-06-2014 , 07:37 PM
Taken a few years but I have been finally turning the corner. More shader and lighting tests. No light baking. I detest baking. Also no Photoshop. That is what it looks like in the camera in the engine. All real-time...

EDIT: Took it down until it is actually complete.

Last edited by CollinBishop; 17-06-2014 at 01:22 AM.
# 313 16-06-2014 , 07:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
That's a huge image. But it looks really good. This is cryengine? The shader on the glasses looks a bit odd to me. Kind of smoky. And is it a modern art piece or strange reflections in the mirror above the fireplace? I guess this person got a bulk discount on a few books.

# 314 16-06-2014 , 08:35 PM
You pretty much pointed out everything that I still need to fix. The tearing in the glass off the HDRI is a problem. The books need more variety. Pretty much more props. The glass is still a work in progress. So much still to fix. By no means is this done. Yes it is Cryengine EaaS. I also need to put more source lighting in the house. Maybe a small table next to the couch and a lamp. Some rugs possibly. The image was made huge to lessen any anti-aliasing issues. I don't plan on keeping it at 4k.

# 315 16-06-2014 , 08:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Cool, I should have pointed out some of the things I particularly like: the brass candlesticks, the stonework, the cushions and the plant. Awesome work, and if you ever need play testers... (not sure what's part of your big project with Leon and what is just experimentation).