Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-09-2014 , 12:00 PM
Chadlton

A Question About The Smooth Mesh Preview To Polygon Tool

Greetings Everyone

So, recently I have been building a world environment and I've made it a point to keep things at a low poly count as I don't want to have a lot of high poly models in my scenes and as I've built I've been exploring Maya's tools and am curious... why would you ever use the (Smooth mesh preview to Polygon) tool? I mean, it adds so many polygons to a model and usually you are told to keep your poly counts down. So yeah, I am curious as to what it's mainly used for. user added image

Thanks & Best Regards
~Chad~

Last edited by ChadJKosch; 24-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.
# 2 24-09-2014 , 01:58 PM
Lifetime Member
Okay i think you are looking at this a little wrong, yes you want to keep your model from being overly heavy in polygon count but you also need to have enough polys to get the shape you are after.

The smooth mesh preview allows you to preview what a mesh roughly would look like if you applied a smooth node to your geo so this is useful because it allows you to keep your geometry as low poly as possible because you can see when you have enough polygons to achieve your desired shape when smoothed.
An example might be organic modeling, you can model say a hand low poly and it will be quite boxy (for want of a better word ) but when smoothed it could be more like a hand with rounded fingers ect.
Mental Ray is capable of rendering a smooth mesh preview also so if you want you don't even have to smooth the final mesh.

As a final note very low polygon modeling is not so important these day as computers and graphics cards progress higher polygon counts become possible. Game modeling is where you need to be more careful since in a game engine things get rendered in real time and the more polygons in a scene the harder that becomes.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 24-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.
# 3 24-09-2014 , 02:02 PM
The thin red line
Just to add to what jsprogg said, also for the creation of normal maps for low polly models............dave

# 4 25-09-2014 , 02:04 AM
Chadlton

Okay i think you are looking at this a little wrong, yes you want to keep your model from being overly heavy in polygon count but you also need to have enough polys to get the shape you are after.

The smooth mesh preview allows you to preview what a mesh roughly would look like if you applied a smooth node to your geo so this is useful because it allows you to keep your geometry as low poly as possible because you can see when you have enough polygons to achieve your desired shape when smoothed.
An example might be organic modeling, you can model say a hand low poly and it will be quite boxy (for want of a better word ) but when smoothed it could be more like a hand with rounded fingers ect.
Mental Ray is capable of rendering a smooth mesh preview also so if you want you don't even have to smooth the final mesh.

As a final note very low polygon modeling is not so important these day as computers and graphics cards progress higher polygon counts become possible. Game modeling is where you need to be more careful since in a game engine things get rendered in real time and the more polygons in a scene the harder that becomes.

Greetings Jsprogg

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I do see your point and actually figured that might be the reason I just was never 100% sure. user added image and yeah, I know low poly is not so impotent these days but I do try to stay at a lower range anyway.

Just to add to what jsprogg said, also for the creation of normal maps for low polly models............dave

Greetings Daverave

Very true point. user added image lol I did know that at least. But was never sure if it had any other uses beyond that one.

Last edited by ChadJKosch; 25-09-2014 at 02:07 AM.