Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 19-11-2014 , 07:17 PM

How do I get Convert to File Texture (Maya Software) to work?

I can't get Convert to File Texture (Maya Software) in hypershade to work. Where does it save the file? I select my model and shift select the material in hypershade and the only result I get is that it duplicates the material, I can't find a texture file anywhere.

I'm done uv mapping my model and ready to texture it. To make it easier to texture I'm trying to bake just flat color of the parts of my model to be able to easily select them in photoshop. I'm getting exactly that by using batch bake, baking light and color (and also tweaking the materials a little) to get a flat color map but I can't bake just color, I can only bake light -and- color, which always gives me an extra file I don't need. I think Convert to File Texture (Maya Software) in hypershade is supposed to be faster too. I'm talking about something like this: https://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/up...nder_rgb_c.jpg Thanks.

Last edited by madwh; 19-11-2014 at 07:20 PM.
# 2 19-11-2014 , 08:56 PM
The thin red line
I think it will not work if you have mentalray as your render, when I do it works fine................dave

# 3 20-11-2014 , 02:47 AM
I tried with maya software and in the render settings window and same thing. Where am I supposed to find the file texture, the output? Also it doesn't seem to work with multiple materials, I'm getting "Only one shading node can be converted, there is more than one selected". Thanks.

# 4 20-11-2014 , 05:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Convert to texture is done one shader at a time. You meed to select the shader and its shading group node. The options (size, format etc) are set by the convert options.
The convert will create copy of the shader, "bake" out the texture, assign the baked texture to the copy shader and assign the copy shader to the object. If the same shader is assigned to multiple objects, then a file and shader copy is created for every object.
For me the files were created in the sourceimages folder of the project. The filename is a combination of the shader name and the object name.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 5 20-11-2014 , 07:21 AM
Still can't get it to work, can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. I tried it both in maya 2014 and 2015, created a brand new project folder, tried to select the shader group as well as PixalZA suggested, mentalray turned off in the plugins window and I'm still getting the same thing. It just duplicates the material with no file textures assigned to it and nothing in the sourceimages folder.

# 6 20-11-2014 , 08:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Can you perhaps upload your test scene so we can have a look? Or can you post a screen shot of the original shading network in Hypershade that you want to convert to file textures?

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 7 20-11-2014 , 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Works for me. I selected the shader(not the shading group node) then the object. Found the texture in the source images folder. Make sure your project path is set so you're looking in the right place.

- Genny
# 8 21-11-2014 , 06:27 PM

# 9 21-11-2014 , 06:52 PM
The thin red line
Same thing happens to me if I only select a one colour shader, try plugging in a ramp in to the colour then do the shader to texture.............dave

# 10 21-11-2014 , 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Ohhh, O.K that's where everything fell down. The shader has no incoming connections. Try plugging a single color ramp into it.

- Genny
# 11 21-11-2014 , 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Dammit Dave lol. Beat me to it!

- Genny
# 12 21-11-2014 , 07:12 PM
The thin red line
Genny I'm trying hard to get off Santa's naughty list in time for Xmas,,,,,,,,,LOL........dave

# 13 21-11-2014 , 07:15 PM
Oh wow that actually worked, thanks dave. It sucks that it doesn't do multiple materials at once though, any way to get around that?

# 14 21-11-2014 , 10:42 PM
The thin red line
Transfer maps is the one you want, under rendering/lighting/shading. We used to have a tutorial on here for normal maps that also covered textures..............dave

# 15 21-11-2014 , 11:00 PM
Yep, that's what I would use if I had a high-poly and low-poly model but what if I only have a low poly model? Batch bake takes a lot longer than Convert to File Texture it seems and it gives me an extra file (light) when I only need color. Thanks.