Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-08-2014 , 04:36 PM

flip an object

every time that i copy an object and then scale it in -1, the object is reversing his normals and become black,then i need to reverse the normals of the object.
if i do this to a group i need to revese all the objects of the group, one by one ,and cant do reverse to all the group at once.
1. is there a way to flip the object without reverse his nomals?
2.how can i reverse the normals of all the group in one action, and not piece by piece?

# 2 20-08-2014 , 08:57 PM
Can you not select all the objects, duplicate special then reverse their normals, or group them, scale/duplicate special then reverse normals? I always have to do this, and its a problem for me too, so if nobody has a better sulotion all i can recommend is mine

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 3 31-12-2014 , 11:45 PM
Lifetime Member

Has something changed?

Yesterday I encountered this problem.. and don't remember it being an issue before?

I modelled an ornate table, made a leg and tried to 'duplicate special' it to make the other legs... only they were inside out... (well the first duplicate was. next flipped normals again to be right way out, and then of course the last was inside out again.)

Because I intend to still fiddle with the shape a little, the duplicates are instances... and flipping the normals of these flips the normals of their parent mesh. And cutting the connection means 4x the work in future for modifications..

My belief was that I had a setting wrong, and I hit the inter-google to find the solution. However it seems it's the 'norm' for this to happen... but I swear duplicating and reversing the model across an axis never used to reverse normals... did it?

Using 2015 now (xmas present) user added image I forgot how much I enjoyed it (until I hit a hurdle and begin tearing out chunks of hair) good to be back.

Edit> Makes me feel old to realise I did my first tutorial here at SM in 2007. But in the version of Maya used for the Apache tutorial. (Believe I was using Maya8 then) Normals did not flip on -scale duplications.

Hope you all had a great Xmas, and wish you the best in the new year.

Learn from others mistakes, it takes too long to make them all yourself.

Last edited by 3dStudent; 01-01-2015 at 02:25 AM.