Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-03-2015 , 09:23 AM

setting file 'preview' in mac OS

hi,

In earlier versions of Maya, if I wanted to view a texture file or source image (something plugged into a material basically), clicking on the view button would open it in the native 'preview' Mac OS application.
Somewhere down the line this has changed to 'fcheck' - which I find a little flaky, and so would like to change it back to 'preview'

I can find the preference for this easily enough, but navigating to the app in my applications folder won't allow me to select the app - Maya treats it as the unix folder it is and so I end up navigating into the folder structure of the app.

Does anyone know how I can stop this behaviour, or where within the app folder structure I'll find the file I need?

thanks

# 2 09-03-2015 , 05:18 PM
Lifetime Member
The path to the Preview executable:
/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/Preview

Similarly you can specify any other application as well. The main executable can usually be found in the "Contents/MaxOS" directory within the main application.

For example:
/Applications/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS6

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 3 09-03-2015 , 11:02 PM
thanks pixalZA - but unfortunately I can't select the executable once navigated to... it's greyed out. :\

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by se7enhedd; 10-03-2015 at 08:22 AM.
# 4 10-03-2015 , 02:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Just type or copy and paste the text.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.

Last edited by PixalZA; 10-03-2015 at 02:41 AM.
# 5 10-03-2015 , 08:21 AM
brilliant. Thanks pixalZA