Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-04-2015 , 09:45 AM

Modelling Boba Fett Helmet Problems

I am relatively new to Maya, although I have owned it for a while and used it every now and then, I only started properly using it 2 to 3 weeks ago. That being said, I am not that new to 3D, I have been using different programs like Cinema 4D and Blender for almost 2 years now. Only... I am terrible at modelling.

I have been trying to model Boba Fett's helmet. I can make it look good enough that people would be able to identify it ok but I am trying to make it very realistic looking. I know you need good materials and great lighting/render settings but it's the model I can't get to look good. Please look at the images as they will help explain what I fail to explain well.

I have tried modelling it multiple times. These are 2 attempts I saved, the first one being the best in my opinion:

First of all, the helmets are not nearly smooth enough (although it might not be as easy to see in that low resolution without any anti-aliasing). I don't really know how to smooth it and still have the extruded parts on the helmet stay "sharp" looking. I tried creasing the extruded parts but although that helps keep it look "sharp", the rest of the model is smooth and the extruded parts look low-poly. Not a great mix. Here is what is looks like on attempt 1 (without creasing):

Another problem is dark patches. Although there is probably a simple fix, I haven't been able to without drastically changing what the model looks like. Some of these dark patches are easily seen in "Attempt 1, Front View" on the sides of the extruded area (the first picture of my two attempts).

Other than that I don't have any massive problems with the model. If anybody can help solve my problems that would be very highly appreciated. Here is some extra info that could be important:

What the "wireframe" of the two attempts looks like:

I am using these as reference images for front and left view:

I am looking at this video to get inspiration for the look:

I have not finished any of my attempts, mainly because I have been unable to do something because of the way the model was made or the way it works.

Sorry for long post, thanks for reading user added image

Last edited by tomundrwd; 05-06-2016 at 03:42 PM.
# 2 25-04-2015 , 11:17 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Tom

A good start, but in need of a bit of blocking out still in the proportions I feel. Google Boba Fett Images...theres tons!!! If you are going for a realistic approach, do yourself a favour and dont copy someone elses work such as that video, as the model in the video is far from perfect. He clearly hasnt used references properly.

If you want to see how a Boba Fett Helmet is made full size so you can translate it to 3d, I would suggest joining https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/ its a feast of Boba Fett builders with lots and lots of people building full sized ones. Chances are there are cg builders there too with more and most likely better references than google....

Mesh wise I think you are on track, just get the shapes and froms sorted and then we can refine the mesh...

good luck

Jay

# 3 11-05-2015 , 07:32 AM
Subscriber

Boba

Hi

I was just looking at your mesh and it explains why you are getting the problems you are getting. You have a lot of non manifold geometry in there. It looks to me like you started with a sphere for the top and tacked on the bottom piece. Your net getting the result you want in smooth preview because your edge flows are not fluid. You can see that once your edge flows reach the brow of the helmet they break of and are spread elsewhere through the bottom half of the helmet. Also you should really try to keep all your faces of similar size when modelling to make things easier for you when you texture and also to stop those artefacts your getting on your helmets cheeks. The smooth preview is pulling the geometry out of shape as there is not enough geometry in the lower portion of the helmet. I would suggest you start with a cube when modelling this helmet and concentrate on edge flow and face size.