Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-07-2015 , 09:51 AM

Im gonna lose my mind trying to fill this hole

I am a blender user and I find it more suitable for personal artwork projects due to its flexibility and being an all in one solution. But recently I decided to make some money on modelling and since lots of studios use maya(I think simply because they prefer stability over flexibility. And maya has more professional plugins) I am trying to learn maya.

I am trying to model a electric guitar on maya, since I think it is a good shape to model to understand most of tools, and I was doing things as I would do on blender. But it seems there are some holes maya cant fill. Regardless of what I tried maya resisted to make a box out of 3 walls connected by 2 edges. Here is screenshot. Please help me.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-07-2015 , 01:14 PM
Subscriber
there are a few ways you can achieve this.

1. You can use the bridge tool to bridge the edges or the faces.

2. You can remove the faces you have put in createa box primative move that in place. combine with original object and then merge the verts using the merge or target weld tool.

If you want to send me the file i can take a look for you, let me know.

Cheers Myth

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 3 08-07-2015 , 03:22 PM
Thank you for your reply but seems I need further help. I surely can create a new face when there is not an inside face. But I cant create a new face when an inside face exist. Of course inside faces are very bad but I should be able to create a geometry with them if I want to, shouldn't I? Here are some screenshots to help you understand what I am saying:

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 08-07-2015 , 04:51 PM
The thin red line
You have created a non manifold mesh with your first extrude edge, just delete the two inner face first then extrude down then across....................dave

# 5 08-07-2015 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber
as dave said, just remove your face and extrude down.

in this example I extruded twice, and then I joined the verts together with the merge tool

Attached Thumbnails

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 6 08-07-2015 , 06:56 PM
Thank you all guys. That really helped. I think I just have to accept that I need to do things in a neat order in Maya which doesn't let you create "bad mesh". I don't mean that it is a bad thing, it mostly saves you. But after getting used to having a tool that gives you 100% freedom and leaves worrying to you, Maya seems a little limited to me. I see that you can model everything in Maya that you model in Blender. But in Blender there is 2-3 more ways to do that, which usually are not the best way to do given job but still possible.

Also please tell me that there is a way to disable transformation arrows when using extrude tool. Can I turn scale rings off and leave rotation and move arrows there? I mistakenly click on wrong arrows all the time.

Thank You

PS: I am sorry for making such a fuss about Blender here. I have to say that I found that Maya is way superior to Blender except for Modelling tools and some functions here and there where Blender simply stamps Maya.

PS 2: I currently am thinking about modelling in Blender then transforming meshes to Maya for Rigging/Animating/Rendering stuff What do you think about that? Should I just stick to one software? Is using tools that I am familiar with more beneficial?

# 7 08-07-2015 , 08:42 PM
The thin red line
Also there are a few tools that you can use for modelling in the animation menu, I,E, flare, bend deformer and lattice and a lot more. As for creating meshes in blender then exporting to maya there should not be a problem so long as you clean the mesh first................dave

# 8 08-07-2015 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
personally I would stick with maya. user added image

But its personal preference I think user added image