Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 22-05-2003 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber

New update on the 3D encoder

If it could be modified to create CV-curves, It would be awesome.

Remember, the scanner is not really a scanner, but more a 3D encoder that encodes the X,Y and Z coordinates of a pointer, so the plan was to use it to encode points along the surface of the car, like the outlines of the bonnet, and then do some birail+ or lofting to create the surfaces.

So basically, I need a script/plugin that reads the data from the com-port, and creates CV-curves from the coordinates.

The chip is programmed to transfer the X,Y and Z coordinates in 2x8bit words, then folowed by a control byte telling if its the beginning of a new curve, a in-curve point, or the last point of the curve.

Another usage for this deviceis 3D painting. As you know, the pain-tool in MAYA is limited to X and y, but with my device we could add the Z coordinate to the paint tools, or any tool with the right programming, but thats a bit far out, and not really what I want (not yet anyways).

Status for the hardware:
Completed the encoders, and presicion logic.
Completed a beta of the chip software (*)
Working on designs for the lightweight framework.

(*)The chip reads the data from the encoders, converts it to readable X, Y and Z data, and sends this formated datastring to the COM port: "XXX.XXX,YYY.YYY,ZZZ.ZZZ,C"
The coordinates is a value from 0 to 65025 for each of the axes and the "C" is the control byte. Currently "C" is 0 for curve start, 1 for in-curve point, and 2 for cure end point. Of course this is can be changed to anything I´d like, cause I´m doing the programming user added image

All I need to do to display the data, is hook the device up to COM2 (or any COM port) and fire up hyper terminal in windows, and connect through the com-port, and the data wil opo up on the screen.

So what remains is just constructing the rig.
I`m considdering using fiberglass and aluminium, and polished steel rails for the static ground rails.

Anyways, the work is coming along quite nicely, and soon I´ll get some money for the construction of the encoder rig.

-DX-
# 17 23-05-2003 , 01:39 AM
yeah if you're doing it as curves I think it should be fine. let me just try a very quick test (bearing in mind it's late!!) user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 18 23-05-2003 , 06:00 PM
ok I can do it (I think! user added image)

I've done a little test script which will dump out some curves. is it possible for you to modify what you've got to create a text file that will produce data in the following way:

POINTS 5
P 1.0 0.0 0.0 0
P 2.0 0.0 0.0 1
P 3.0 0.0 0.0 1
P 4.0 1.0 0.5 1
P 5.0 2.3 1.5 2

POINTS 3
P 1.0 0.0 0.0 0
P 4.0 3.1 3.6 1
P 3.0 0.5 1.7 1

Where POINTS is where a curve begins, the next number is the number of points and then when it has a P the next 4 numbers three floats and an integer are the point data?

if you can then I think the script should work.

Let me know

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB