Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 06-08-2003 , 02:11 PM
Howard, are they the only lights you have used? I've had a bugger of a time with lighting so far.

# 47 06-08-2003 , 02:24 PM
ok it's easy

create two cogs that are instances of each other. Then make sure that the "teeth" of the cogs will mesh properly as the turn. Then make one a passive rigid body (this is the one that will turn the others) and the other as a active rigid body. Then place nail constraints in the centre of each of them. Now key the passive one to turn around and the other should turn based on the other one

you can then duplicate and add more cogs as needed.

Take a look at the mb file. It starts to freak out after a little while and it will take some tweaking but the basic idea is there.

Alan

Attached Files
File Type: mb cogs.mb (267.0 KB, 167 views)

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 48 06-08-2003 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
Pure_Morning- you are the man!! I will check out the file when I get home tonight, that was so nice of you to do! I really appreciate it user added image

3Demon- I agree with you that it looks like a doll house or something... I think maybe because the gears are so big? any suggestions? maybe if I add some smaller stuff in there it will work itself out (i hope!)

schmick - I usually only use 3 lights, I try to keep it simple so I dont get overwhelmed. however that last render was with GIJoe user added image

# 49 06-08-2003 , 06:08 PM
it's cool mate, I think it would look really cool to have them all turning it's fairly easy to pull off but it may require a bit of tweaking on your cogs... good luck user added image

IMDB
# 50 06-08-2003 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning

Take a look at the mb file. It starts to freak out after a little while and it will take some tweaking but the basic idea is there.

is not that the idea of the challenge? it has to freak out to be a mad scientists work ....

# 51 06-08-2003 , 06:12 PM
lol yeah I guess it could be part of the animation, they start to spin at weird angles and stuff

user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 52 06-08-2003 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
Awesome, detailed just as I like it, can't wait for the final render. user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 53 06-08-2003 , 08:12 PM
LoL, that happened to my cogs as well when I did that tut ages ago. They rotated for a bit, then spazmoed into the stratosphere! user added image

# 54 06-08-2003 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
Ahh... Stable physics simulation.... Too bad Maya hasn't got it user added image

# 55 06-08-2003 , 09:02 PM
lol I dont know anything that does. I tried to write a cloth simulation and that would run stable for a while and then go absolutley bloody nuts. It's all about numerical instability as far as I recall! user added image

IMDB
# 56 06-08-2003 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
Some students on the same education as I tried this as their masters project. They claim it isn't impossible and what I saw at their presentation, it worked like a charm Meqon their company

# 57 06-08-2003 , 09:49 PM

IMDB

Last edited by Alan; 06-08-2003 at 09:51 PM.
# 58 06-08-2003 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
They aren't rich by any means, they are just a small upstart (got their MSc this year). They are pretty young, I don't know exactly but around 23-26 I would guess (based on the avg. age of graduates here).

# 59 06-08-2003 , 11:24 PM
cool well they should go far with stuff like that! I'm beginning to think we are hijacking howard's thread here! user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 60 06-08-2003 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
Sorry howard! =)

pure_morning: they should, they are really nice guys too, and they have secured some business deals. I just hope people buy their stuff, I know I would.