Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 27-08-2003 , 08:20 PM
windshields are useful i suppose

Attached Images

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 17 28-08-2003 , 05:14 AM
cleaned up the back a lot, and added a buffer row of polies to sharpen the normals on the hatch crease. still keeping a pretty low polycount, too, i'm pretty happy about it.

Attached Thumbnails

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 18 28-08-2003 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
looks pretty clean

why do you have the polys going together toward the backside of the wheelwell? this might and might cause problems later even tho it's probably hidden - always good to keep things as even as possible - especially when modeling mechanical objects.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 19 28-08-2003 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber
just checked out some of the cars you did for racer so i guess you're trying to keep the poly count low. still i guess i'd keep everything as even as possible and then reduce once i had a finished model but that's just me.

# 20 28-08-2003 , 06:20 AM
Subscriber
I checked out your enzo - very nice user added image

# 21 28-08-2003 , 08:48 AM
glad you like the Enzo ereitzuser added image it was my first 3D car, and actually has some minor issues to it (mostly the windows, so an easy fix).

I like doing the wheel wells like that cuz it won't be noticable in-game, and saves around 100 polies usually. To my GFX card, that doesn't mean anything, but to those with old TNT2's and the like, they appreciate it. It also gives me room to spend more polies on important thingsuser added image
i did start with the wheel wells all evenly rowed, though, and just joined vertices after i had the back-face in place (good old Append to poly, followed by a Fill Hole).

i decided to do the side mirrors, and they're around 250 polies at the moment, might try to cut that down, but i'm not sure it's worth sacrificing the curves. I actually made this with nurbs, then converted to polies using the "control point" setting. this gave a pretty rough mesh as you can image, but smoothing it with 1 iteration worked great.

since the normals did themselves, i've got renders for the mirrorsuser added image

Attached Thumbnails

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 22 28-08-2003 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
very nice

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 23 28-08-2003 , 03:43 PM
dude that is so cool. I was serously considering modeling one of those not to long ago. it look really clean right now.. It woud make a great sub d mesh user added image
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 24 28-08-2003 , 06:44 PM

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht
dude that is so cool. I was serously considering modeling one of those not to long ago. it look really clean right now.. It woud make a great sub d mesh user added image
Brian

never played with Sub-D's before, but i suppose this would be a good one to try it with when i'm doneuser added image

thanks for the commentsuser added image

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 25 28-08-2003 , 06:53 PM
you gotta try it, for your model I think it would work great, if you need any help at all about sub d's let me know I will be coming back to this thread often. THanks,
B

Please check
My (old) website!
# 26 30-08-2003 , 05:08 PM
Really Nice f50.

# 27 31-08-2003 , 06:18 PM
looks verry nice until now, keep it up.

# 28 02-09-2003 , 05:24 PM
Nice color. What did you use to get that metallic look?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 29 03-09-2003 , 09:42 PM

Originally posted by dave_baer
Nice color. What did you use to get that metallic look?

that was from a shader on highend3d. just changed the color of it, cuz we all know that lime green is greatuser added image

sorry i've been a bit absent here, but i've just started college and haven't had internet access. now i do, though, so expect stuff when i've got time.

Car-maker.
see the WWW button
# 30 15-09-2003 , 02:22 AM
found a little time to work on the back end of the car again. now its much better i think, and will give much better normals. still needs some tweaking, though...

Attached Thumbnails

Car-maker.
see the WWW button