Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 106 09-11-2003 , 01:20 PM
urm.... the dragon looks blatantly superimposed... that's the only thing i can think of user added image

try render it on a white background and put a layer filter on it, photoshop has a thing that gets rid of white (cant think of the name at present user added image) so it wont have them edges it has at the moment.

# 107 09-11-2003 , 05:10 PM
Location: lost... and I'm NOT asking directions!! (psst... could you tell me where I am?)
I think it has too much light, that is the only advice I would give.

Sorry about that last post, it was midnight last night when I posted it. I shouldn't be online at that time of night... (I'm usually not that bad on the overanalyzing thing)

Good luck with the environment, it does look like you're on the right track. Especially if a lavafall is the effect you wanted.

Me and THIS army!
# 108 10-11-2003 , 02:51 AM
Thank you for the feedback! The dragon is badly composed because I am still trying to decide how I want to do it, so I am trying different angles and backgrounds. Once I decide, I assure it will be better composed user added image

Sy
# 109 16-11-2003 , 12:56 PM
It's just a suggestion:
Looks a bit to much like plastic! turn off your specularity on your light, wake your colour up high but bring down your diffuse and change youe spec colour to a dark green or yellow.

# 110 19-11-2003 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
Hey sil you're dragon has come so far! How bout going into perspective view, find a nice angle and hit the F key (with the dragon selected) to frame the dragon then open up render globals and set "Anti aliasing" quality to "production" and render out a decent image. Sometimes you are posting 800x600 or larger images with lots of space around the edges with no dragon in it. The sys-admins have asked repeatedly for people to post in 640x480 size images. I don't see the harm in posting an 800x600 from time to time as long as you show some actual detail. Don't be afraid to take the render into photoshop and crop out ALL empty space (even if it doesn't retain its original aspect ratio, thats not important). As you'll notice the guys that have been doing this for a while try to live be these few (and not very strict) rules, it makes everything more pretty and clean, and just nice to look at, plus it keeps the admins happy.user added image

Ah sorry for all that, but i'd really like to see a nice up close picture with the production AA so we could give you're dragon texture one last crit before you go off on the enviroment.:bgreen:

If you were thinking about using bryce at all, i would suggest just using bryces render engine as the procedurals are pretty cool, and bryce is actually pretty good at naturally occuring enviroments. Then when you render out you're dragon, put a plane beneath him at a similar angle to the desired composite point in you're bryce image. For the shader on that plane try "USE BACKGROUND". This shader is for rendering shadows for compositing, and the plane will not render, just the shadow on it. Then in the render globals render out to transparent .TGA files (yes its photoshop compatible).
Now take you're bryce bg, you're dragon .tga with transparency and shadow, take em into photoshop and its pretty easy from there. They will probably look a little off, so try an "adjust> brightness and contrast" On the dragon layer to match it to the background.

HAVE FUN and good luck with you're enviromenting.user added image

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 19-11-2003 at 05:04 PM.
# 111 19-11-2003 , 09:56 PM
Thank you so much guys for your feedback!!!
Right now it's gettin really busy with my Computer Animation courses, and I may have to put the dragon on the back seat for a month or so user added image
But I am keeping all your suggestions in mind for the time I will be able to get back to work on this again.
Thank you very much again!

Sy
# 112 21-11-2003 , 01:45 AM
looks awesome....the one with the background isnt so good though....not sure why...it does sort of look like a winged lizard to me....not especially powerful, and potentially vicious like dragons are... anyway...great model...wd