Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 23-06-2003 , 03:16 AM
Adl: LOL!!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 17 25-06-2003 , 06:20 PM

The missing shorts?

First of all, I assure you; I am not gay! =)

anyway, in the Hulk-movie, when the hulk walks in the desert towards a tank, his thighs shines through his shorts, and you can almost see his ass. I think the guys who made the 3d effects will find themselves low on jobs in the future. hehe
tragic.

anyway, I thought the movie sucked.

Take care!//Thomas

# 18 25-06-2003 , 07:28 PM
i thought the first hour just rambles on too much, they could fit in most of the details they needed with a few voice overs in the background while he was on his rampage.

the rampage(basically the time in the water tube on) was awsome. I like how they also made the hulk anti killing.

Some parts would have been slightly better if they had used what they had available more, like when he has the tank turret in hand and almost like a sledge hammer.. he should have used it.

And they had way way too many splitscreens. The more intense the situation the more splitscreens they had, at some point they had like 5-10 on the screen at once, it was like making you dizzy after a while. I saw it at the drive in so there was a 2 story screen like several yards wide with millions of splitscreens, it was annoying.many of them were used just because they could, with no real purpose.

# 19 25-06-2003 , 10:08 PM
they made it to give the comic-book feel

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 20 26-06-2003 , 06:24 AM
i realize that.. but when you see like 5 dozen split screens with splitscreens in the splitscreens with splitscreens scrolling across the screens turning into splitcreens with the splitscreens fading into more splitscreens...

it made me dizzy...

# 21 11-11-2003 , 07:09 PM
I personally liked the ambitious editing style with the splitscreens. What i didn't like about them was that they just had black borders and literally split the screen. Had they used a more hand-drawn floating panel style I think it would have looked much more comic like. Anyone who's played the XIII demo will know what I mean. Seeing the hulk jump from panel to panel was very creative though. Unfortunatly, they stopped using the editing style about halfway through the movie so there's a really inconsistent feel.

I thought the Hulk himself was done superbly. Probably some of the best compositing and light matching on an organic character. The animation was top notch, with the Hulk portraying a convincing sense of weight and velocity. For an example of bad a sense of weight, see Virus. In the part where the robot is smashing big vertical pipes it looks like it's doing so in a vacuum with no resistance from the air, or pipes. The Hulk, on the other hand, got it right.

# 22 11-11-2003 , 08:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
I dunno, his landing on the ground after these huge leaps didn't seem to impact the gound much.

# 23 11-11-2003 , 09:04 PM
Hey Mike, you´ll enjoy this article. user added image
Site:INSULTINGLY STUPID MOVIE PHYSICS

Quote from the Hulk review:

There's hardly a nerd who wouldn't like, at least once, to morph into a huge green guy and panic his tormentors. So, how is it that Hollywood can take this delicious daydream and puree it into pure broccoli juice? Let's start with a simple principle that Hollywood has failed to grasp. Bigger is not always better.

Consider the scene where the evil father genetically engineers a group of dogs into vicious behemoths and sets them on the scent of a victim to assassinate. Ironically, one of the dogs appears to be an American pit bull terrier (hence forth referred to as a pit bull). Even cat lovers will recognize this as one tough puppy. Why is this ironic? Making the dog larger would most likely make it a less effective assassin.

According to pit bull lore, they have been matched against virtually every other dog breed not to mention lions, tigers, and bears. More often than not the pit bull wins. Yes, this has a lot to do with the breed's strength and stamina but it's also because, at around 60 pounds, pit bulls are exactly the right size.

Dog breeders have produced huge fighting dogs such as the Japanese Tosa Inu which can reach 200 lbs but it typically doesn't make them better fighters than the pit bull. If a dog is scaled up, its strength will increase with the square of the scale up factor while its mass will increase with the cube of the scale up factor. For example double the size of the dog and its strength will increase by a factor of 4 but its weight will increase by a factor of 8. At some point the sheer mass of the dog will begin to limit its stamina as well as its ability to move quickly.

The best way to convert a pit bull into an assassin's tool would be to make it super smart rather than super large. A truly intelligent dog would not have to rely on the vagaries of following a scent. It could read maps, plan its attack for the best possible situation, sneak up, and quietly dispatch its victim with a quick bite to the throat. The dog already has all the jaw strength, agility, and jumping ability required to do so.

If anything, converting a pit bull into a snarling slobbering monster and sending it out with two other similar beasts would have made it a less effective assassin. How are a group of vicious dogs the size of cars going to detect and follow the scent of a person driving dozens of miles, let alone do so without alerting the community, police, and national news media. Keep in mind that the targeted victim probably drove home, filled up with gas, and stopped at the supermarket before eventually ending up at a remote cabin in the woods.

As depicted in the movie, morphing also had serious problems. For one, it disobeyed the first law of thermodynamics. This is the most firmly established principle in all of physics and says that one cannot create mass out of nothing. No amount of mumbo jumbo about sea cucumbers and star fish can compensate for this shortcoming. If the Hulk is going to bulk up in a few seconds he's going to have to either acquire more mass, lower his density or some combination of the two. Unfortunately, gulping air is about the only choice for gaining mass and this will almost certainly lower density in the process.

By inhaling and standing in a more upright posture, a creature could appear perhaps 25% larger. A good snort of adrenalin or some other drug could conceivably increase short term strength by a factor of ten. An increase beyond this would probably cause injuries such as broken bones or torn tendons and ligaments. Combining these transformations with a color change along with growling and snarling would create a very imposing presence.

By contrast the movie has a scene in which the Hulk holds his love interest King-Cong-like in his fist. The Hulk would have to be at least ten times taller than his normal self to do so. If scaled up proportionally, the Hulk would be 1000 times more massive than his human form, but it gets worse. The comic book makers correctly gave the Hulk thicker legs and a more stout body. We say correctly because, like an elephant, he would need the thicker legs to support his increased mass. Unfortunately, increased stoutness means even more mass. The movie hulk would probably end up with at least 1500 times more mass than his human counterpart and a weight in excess of 100 tons ( 91,000 kg, assuming no density difference between hulk and human forms). Where is this mass supposed to come from?

The increase in strength with morphing is likewise ridiculous. At one point the Hulk overturns a 65 ton Abrams battle tank. This alone would require an increase in strength from human form of about a factor of 650. However, the Hulk then grabs the barrel of an Abrams tank, spins around and throws the entire tank several hundred meters. Compare this to the Olympic hammer throw which propels a 7. 257 kg ball a distance of around 80 meters. The tank is over 8000 times more massive and is thrown at least 10 times further. This suggests that the Hulk is at least 100,000 times stronger than his human form.

In order to spin and throw a tank, the Hulk would also have to be far more massive than the tank because he would have to create a huge centripetal force on the tank to make it travel in a circular path while being spun. Newton's third law tells us that forces always come in pairs which are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. While it's being spun, the tank will create a force acting on the Hulk which is just as large as the centripetal force acting on the tank. The force would immediately pull the Hulk off-balance unless he's significantly more massive than the tank.

An Olympic hammer thrower, for example, is around 15 times more massive than the hammer. Using this conservative figure (since the tank is hurled much further than the hammer), the Hulk would have to weigh at least 975 tons (8.86 thousand kg) in order to throw the tank. However, the Hulk's volume seemed, if anything, no larger than the tank he threw. Density = mass / volume and so the Hulk's density would have to be at least 15 times more dense than the tank's density. If only 10 % of the tank's volume were steel, the Hulk's density would be 1.5 times higher than solid steel!

Since the Hulk has less area under his feet than the tank's tracks, the pressure his feet exert on the ground would probably be at least 100 times higher than the tank. He would sink when walking on soft ground or sand. When he jumped in the air the pressure exerted on the ground would increase dramatically. Hence, the Hulk would be breaking pavement under his feet not just on the landing from an incredible leap but also on the take-off.

The Hulk's ability to make these huge leaps is itself absurd. Yes, increased size typically does imply increased strength but as mentioned earlier, weight increases faster than strength. If increasing size also increased jumping ability then elephants would be able to out-leap impalas. The only solution would be for the Hulk's muscle to become, pound for pound, several orders of magnitude stronger than human muscles. There's no biological creature on Earth which has muscle even close to this level of strength.

In one scene the Hulk leaps up and grabs hold of a fighter aircraft. The Aircraft immediately heads for the stratosphere and shakes off the Hulk by causing him to pass out from lack of oxygen. Keep in mind that a fully loaded jet fighter weighs only about 15 tons. Even if we ignore the drag and other aerodynamic effects of having the hulk attached, we still have to wonder how a 15 ton aircraft can lift a 975 ton Hulk.

Yes, the Hulk is based on a comic book and so we expect bad physics. However, the bad physics in this movie are excessive even by comic book standards. We didn't go to the movie to see a raging monster trash San Francisco. We went to see the fantasy of a likeable nerdy guy reluctantly turn into an 8 foot high science project and educate the mindless, heartless cool guys who had ignorantly messed with him. What we got was a cross between King Cong and Godzilla. Not only did the moviemakers give us wrong physics, they gave us the wrong movie.

Note: Yes, we have been influenced by the TV version of the Hulk. Since he is a comic book character who knows what his "real" size is. The Hulk Library lists it as 7 feet for the green Hulk.

# 24 11-11-2003 , 11:54 PM
I have to say the F22 raptor part pissed me off. It would never have been able to lift him. The comic book characture can bend the rules of physics, Not break them, but the F22 is real world. It should not have super hero status too. That seriously urked me. I could put up with the hulk thoughing the tank. I expected thing like that out of him.

# 25 13-11-2003 , 06:54 AM

Originally posted by RickStefani
the F22 is real world. It should not have super hero status too. That seriously urked me.

What, no nit picking remarks about how the Hulk wouldn't have enough facial strength to spit the top of a missle he just bit off and have it detonate? user added image

The fact that they used an F22 is probably arbitrary. I'm sure the script just called for a plane and this happened to be the first schematic that came up with the modeller searched for images of jet fighters.

# 26 13-11-2003 , 06:57 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I dunno, his landing on the ground after these huge leaps didn't seem to impact the gound much.

Well, from what I understand, the Hulk used to bounce in the comic. His forward and downward vectors could be such that he's simply skipping like a stone during impact. Only in a few parts did he seem to stop a little too easily, but other than that, I think they actually did a really good job of making a relativly impossible bouncing animation look fairly believable.

# 27 13-11-2003 , 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Soviut
His forward and downward vectors could be such that he's simply skipping like a stone during impact.

That would be one 975 ton stone.
Think that wouldn´t leave a mark?

# 28 13-11-2003 , 10:14 PM
I am very sure the F22 was not arbitraury. They are not completely in service yet. They also had the comache, which is in devolopement and the M1A2. They pretty much had the US prize arsonal involved.