Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 12-11-2003 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
This is a very nice and elaborate idea but I would add something you left out - a MEL dev kit or even an API dev kit for people who would rather have a full fledged Visual MEL dev. environment.

I suppose you based the idea on Cinema 4D's current marketing strategy which is quite nice - you can even dismember the base package and remove the animation stuff so if I want only a great modeler - I would pay for that only but I wwould expect a FULL featured modeler which in my humble opinion is not what we have in Maya (yet) .

And best of all - BOOKS !

I would like to have the documentation set in a printed form !

even as an option

Nir

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 62 12-11-2003 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
One problem though:

They (Alias) will have to resolve this: If I already have Maya Complete - and now they remove the (say) particles from the package - they cannot force me to pay more for it as I already have it !

Imagine them releasing a new version without a renderer and thus forcing you to pay extra for something you already had !

Only new users will be able / forced to pay for the modules separately

I think....

Nir

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 63 13-11-2003 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
Huxley

Sounds like the Houdini approachuser added image
They have
Houdini Ecaape
Houdoni Select
Houdini Master

which is set up just like that.

I like Maya the way it is.

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 64 13-11-2003 , 01:55 PM
Subscriber
Not exactly - Houdini forces you to decide but in Cinema 4D you construct which ever combo you may need asnd add which ever module later

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 65 14-11-2003 , 08:06 AM
Thats a good way of doing it, its just irritating getting the latest version of maya and all your getting is a few extra renderers (woo hoo but considering that you could download mental ray from the alias website in 4.5, and that not everyone uses vector renderers) an improved UV editor and a few extra tools and nodes here and there, is it really worth upgrading?

FX supervisor - double negative
# 66 14-11-2003 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by LauriePriest
is it really worth upgrading?

Definitely... Not !

Just look at what 3DS Max 6 has in store in its newest upgrade to have that answer.

and a Maya upgrade costs 47 % of the full price !

no ... not me!

Nir

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 67 14-11-2003 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
softimage xsi essentials has dropped to $4000!!! user added image with free upgrades as well user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 68 14-11-2003 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by nirsul
One problem though:

They (Alias) will have to resolve this: If I already have Maya Complete - and now they remove the (say) particles from the package - they cannot force me to pay more for it as I already have it !

Imagine them releasing a new version without a renderer and thus forcing you to pay extra for something you already had !

Only new users will be able / forced to pay for the modules separately

I think....

Nir

I envision that the first release of Framework would be nothing more than a restructuring of the Maya package. All new purchases of Maya would be Framework/Components purchases.

When, finally, a major component release - for example Particles 2.0 - occurs A|W will then see a pretty rapid buy-in to Framework from the current user-community as users start needing the new functionality.

Of course, if they want to keep their user community happy. They would ensure that new Framework files could be used with pre-Framework versions of Maya. Users would be able to render scenes using their current versions of Maya and then, using Framework/Components, render the new cool stuff. A neat little inter-version render management tool by A|W could take care of that very nicely.

Eventually, all users will have moved to Maya F+C and these transitional tools could be dumped.

Complicated, doable, but worth it?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 69 15-11-2003 , 04:07 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Face it, this is production software, not marketed for the at-home hobbyist. Those of us who have maxed our credit cards do so in the hopes our investment will be returned in that of a job eventually.

Finally! Someone speaking some sense! Not that many years ago when Maya Complete cost like $16 000, online communities were empty in comparison to today. People are lucky to be able to use Maya at all, most people I know had to wait until they scored a big job at a studio before they even layed eyes on Maya.

$7000 for companies making million dollar films is not that much at all. It's only young hobbyists that are complaining. The other day in IRC a kid was complaining that he couldn't afford Maya....and he was in year 6!!! He'd just turned 12!!!!

If you're gonna complain about software prices, Houdini Master costs $17 000! And XSI is usually around $13 000!

# 70 15-11-2003 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber
Jozvex

Basically - you are right but in the last years software prices tend to go down , except in cases of software which is almost a monopole (AutoCAD)

and most software company would love to sell 17000 U$ packages to Disney and friends but they need to lice so they will have to sell it to people like us .

Now if Alias choose to not go down this path - there are others that will and as you know low cost 3D packages are getting better every release. 3D Max (currently more expensive than Maya) - get better and one they they may surprise us with a lower price .

Now everybody has particles, Mental Ray etc and ALIAS will loose its advantage.

But you know what - I admire their decision of lowering the price - I wish the rest would , too.

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 71 15-11-2003 , 11:05 AM

Nevim

Hale, neslyšel, zatim nic, na èeskejch webech je tam velký kulový, stejnì to k Nám dorazí až s roèním spoždìním...

# 72 15-11-2003 , 11:33 AM
hey someone fix Lazar's keyboard settings user added image

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 73 15-11-2003 , 03:57 PM
I like it,come soon.

# 74 17-11-2003 , 09:34 AM
user added image

Attached Images

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 75 17-11-2003 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber
Dave

Nice design but it has nothing to do with the typical design style of the Alias graphics - you did not full me LOL

Nir

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com