Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 05-11-2002 , 12:23 PM
Remember this won't happen for another 6 months or so and only if there's a lot of support. I'm doing it out of protest (I REALLY don't want Apple going anywhere near a|w!!!) and I'd also like to help SGI a little bit. If I lose everything, oh well...a year from then I'll probably forget I had stock in the first place. I'm not in it for profit (more of a donation to SGI...unless of course, things start moving up user added image )

If 5 months from now we don't have a whole lot of people, I'm still going to do it anyway. Anyone who wants in is welcome to join.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 17 07-11-2002 , 05:51 PM
SM Alumni
has apple suddenly rekindled theyre interest in buying A|W? last thing I heard Doug Walker was stating apple were not having anything to do with A|W though that was quite a while ago. have things changed since?

# 18 09-11-2002 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
i'm broke!!!!!

# 19 09-11-2002 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
why does apple "big brother" in everywhere??? ILM, Pixar... phew!!!!

# 20 09-11-2002 , 07:28 PM
Why are you guys so against Apple and its interest in acquiring A|W?
While I like the idea of not having too many Microsoft monopoly giants, I also believe that if Apple would buy A|W and Maya, there would be a lot to benefit from for us endusers. Just look at what happened with applications such as Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio pro. Both applications would have been probably still unknown to most users and too expensive. If you are concerned about all of your investments on PC and SGI machines and afraid that Apple would discontinue their support in future developments, just look at what they are doing with Shake and relax.
Said that, I still believe that Sgi holds a very important place in the history of CG, and should be helped to help itself to stay afloat with smarter marketing and reduced pricing of their products.
Power all of us and not just the mega studios with the big bucks.

Just a different opinion.

# 21 09-11-2002 , 07:29 PM
is it so dangerous that apple buys A|W???? what might happen if so....????

# 22 09-11-2002 , 08:48 PM
Ok,

First off, aliascescofront, I am NOT aiming my words at you personally! hehe...So PLEASE don't get offended if I use more of your questions and comments than others, it's just you have some really good questions fo me to answeruser added image

I've been working in the 3d/vfx industry for about 7-8 years now, and I've been working with computers for the last 15 years.
PC's, Macs, Amigas (way back), sgi's, etc.

Why are you guys so against Apple and its interest in acquiring A|W?...I also believe that if Apple would buy A|W and Maya, there would be a lot to benefit from for us endusers.
Like what exactly?
History has shown us that once Apple buys a given software package, they KILL ALL SUPPORT for ANY other platform other than mac.
I've been with companies that went broke because of this proven, and publicly known fact.

Just look at what happened with applications such as Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio pro. Both applications would have been probably still unknown to most users and too expensive.
See my previous answer.
And btw, both of those apps were only written for macs to begin with. It was LUCK that a port for intel hardware was available for a VERY short time.
After Apple noticed how WELL sales were going for the PC user, that's when they bought them, and, AGAIN, forced us to look for another package.
Also, it's a proven fact that once Apple sinks thier claws into a given package, it becomes MORE expensive because they FORCE you to buy a mac in order to use it. ???
So a $900 package now becomes a $4000 purchase becuase you have to get THE MOST top of the line mac just to get it to run half as fast as a typical pc 3d workstation that costs HALF as much, if not less.

I state this becuase computer users in the majority are hardware LOYAL.
We wouldn't be having this conversation if that weren't true.

To prove this, ask any hardcore mac user to switch to another platform, and they will get all defensive and scared.
Pc users do the same.

The whole issue is about freedom of CHOICE.
And Apple cosistently removes that freedom from us any chance they get.

If you are concerned about all of your investments on PC and SGI machines and afraid that Apple would discontinue their support in future developments, just look at what they are doing with Shake and relax.
My point exacly.
Also, by stating that, it shows us that you are VERY AWARE of what Apple does, and that you seem to be ok with it! ?

Btw, call Apple and ask them to support Shake on your pc, and they will HANG UP on you. (Trust me, I've trieduser added image

I've been in the cg biz for a long time, and NO OTHER company has pissed me off MORE than Apple has.
I will NEVER use Apple hardware as long as I still have a choice.
I'll use my Commodore 64 before I use a Mac.

Having said that, I still believe that Sgi holds a very important place in the history of CG, and should be helped to help itself to stay afloat with smarter marketing and reduced pricing of their products. Power all of us and not just the mega studios with the big bucks.
I have to agree with you on that oneuser added image

Also, what do you mean by, "too many Microsoft monopoly giants"?
Theres only ONE Microsoft.
Hardware builders build machines to run the MicrosoftOS for a reason. It sells more product!

I'm sorry to say this, but there's a reason only 9% of computer users use Macs.
(actualy, C-net stated the percent much lower, 7%, so I'm being nice by saying 9%user added image

Bill G. just happened to market his product better than the other guy.

When Apple can make a machine as fast, and stable as my homebuilt cg workstations, and give me the ability to freely upgrade with affordable 3rd party hardware, and make it cheaper than my machines, then I MIGHT think about it.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 23 10-11-2002 , 12:41 AM
Hmm, I believe there is no way to say it better. Izzy, great reply.

# 24 10-11-2002 , 08:34 AM
Thanksuser added image

I didn't mean to sound so bitter or anything, but I'm getting too old to wait for Apple to get thier crap together.

BTW, I LOVE your sig!

How bout this one:
GAME OVER MAN, IT'S GAME OVER! hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 25 10-11-2002 , 09:46 AM
Hehehe, how about: "get away from her, you bitch!" or perhaps (one of my personal favorites) "What are we supposed to use man? harsh language?"

Hehehe gotta love that movie.

Last edited by adldesigner; 10-11-2002 at 11:32 AM.
# 26 10-11-2002 , 05:32 PM
SM Alumni

Originally posted by aliascescofront
If you are concerned about all of your investments on PC and SGI machines and afraid that Apple would discontinue their support in future developments, just look at what they are doing with Shake and relax.

I nearly choked when i read that sentence... nice answer btw Rage - very diplomatic (more so than i would have been... user added image )

# 27 11-11-2002 , 03:41 AM

Originally posted by kal
I nearly choked when i read that sentence... nice answer btw Rage - very diplomatic (more so than i would have been... user added image )

Hehehe Kal

# 28 11-11-2002 , 04:19 PM
Kevin
Just received this from a contact at AW. I sent him a mail to ask about the Apple issue:

------------------------------------

Hi Kevin,

The AW / Apple thing has been going on for as long as I can remember. I can't speak to this subject on behalf of AW, but I can give you my personal view...

SGi shares have been lower than .82 before and we had not been sold... There are always rumours that we are being sold probably wont ever be able to stop these. If any company is looking to purchase another then they would want to see sustained growth over a period of time. I would suggest that in these times no one is a good buy, the climate just isn't right worldwide. That said anything can happen!

I would suggest that your guys save their money, I really doubt if this investment would even make the price blink....Although it is a fantastic gesture of support...

Sorry I cannot give you more.

Best regards,

# 29 11-11-2002 , 06:52 PM
it's really nothing more than a gesture...a few bucks from some loyal end-users, that's all.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.