Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 28-07-2011 , 08:03 AM
The thin red line
Simular to how I created the rope for the water bucket trouble is move any distance away then you cannot see the detail, thats a funny way of attaching the base do they say why....looking great............dave

Edit: the easyest was to get a helix curve is to create the helix then convert one of the edges to a curve

Last edited by daverave; 28-07-2011 at 08:09 AM.
# 17 28-07-2011 , 08:34 AM
The thin red line
Sorry ctbram
Im looking after my grandson 2year old so I did not read through all of your post, UV mapping the rope see link thats how I did it........dave

Edit:As reguard uving the ring lets I straighten my rope out not sure you will be able to do that

https://www.cgtextures.com/content.ph...rial&name=rope

Last edited by daverave; 28-07-2011 at 08:36 AM.
# 18 28-07-2011 , 10:56 AM

Edit: the easyest was to get a helix curve is to create the helix then convert one of the edges to a curve

Yes but that will produce a uniform helix. The shape needed to fill the hole is not uniform and therefore any of the built in helix primitives will not work and trying to message them into shape is tedious. This is why I used the method I did.

Put another way when you spread a primitive helix out there will be no vertical edges. Only when the helix is jammed tight together will any edge approach vertical but they will still not be vertical unless the helix is jammed into a single plane.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 19 28-07-2011 , 10:58 AM
here is a better solution for the simulating the cable (although still very high poly cost). I created a single poly plane and extruded that using polygon extrude which allows me to add twist.

Attached Images

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 20 28-07-2011 , 11:11 AM
The thin red line
Stand corrected, any joy with the normal map can you create a occlusion map and use that as a bump map...............dave

# 21 28-07-2011 , 12:26 PM
okay modeled the cable coils. The detail is not very prominent on the closest of full shots. In the end I am thinking that I will just go with a texture as each coil is around 3500 polys when modeled and there are 32 coils!

Here is a close, med, and the closest full image shots...

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 28-07-2011 , 12:27 PM
ah the occlusion map is a good idea I will add that to my list of things to try. thanks dave.

# 23 28-07-2011 , 01:27 PM
SM Tea Boy
Rick as always great attention to detail. If you'd like to turn it into a tutorial I'd love to work on the dynamic simulation and get it to actually fire. I've been planing to cover fluid/npartical explosions for a while now.

Or if you don't have the time, can I steal the finished thing and use it as set dressing user added image

All the best mate
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 24 28-07-2011 , 01:32 PM
The thin red line
Forgot to say I use xnormal for normal maps does a better job than maya or zbrush(for me that is)..........dave

# 25 28-07-2011 , 02:08 PM
Lifetime Member
dave I will have to pick your brain...better still why dont you do a FAQ like stwert on what you know?

Rick if you dont make this a tut...I will cry.

David, brilliant offer......if Rick says no....then get a good passport and pilfer away.

PULLLEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ct...cmon dude...I have been waiting for good simulation weapons test...FOR MONTHS.....please?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 26 28-07-2011 , 06:25 PM
Thanks Dave I will talk to Nilla on skype about it.

Thanks Daverave I forget all about xnormal.

Bullet, I am on it!

Last edited by ctbram; 29-07-2011 at 08:09 AM.
# 27 28-07-2011 , 11:53 PM
I think I am finished with the modeling of the launcher. There is a googaw I see in some reference images and not in others that I may add in.

Also, its very interesting to note there is a difference in the plugs on the front and back of the barrel; however, I have reference images showing the missiles firing from either side. So I guess I can pick what I want to be the front.

I corrected some proportion and scale errors and made a couple tweaks here and there. Here are some new renders.

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 28-07-2011 , 11:54 PM
May as well model a missile. Here is a reference image I found...

The model is very low poly. I will do a higher res one soon. I have both a high and low poly versions of the launcher as well. I tend to block everything out and then go back an remodel to a higher res. If I ever need to do dynamics or render animatics having the lower poly meshes help.

EDIT: Okay this cannot possibly be the correct missile. The RIM 116 missile is around 9'2" and if I scale this missile to that length then it will not fit in a tube!

I will have to search for a accurate reference.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 29-07-2011 at 05:13 PM.
# 29 29-07-2011 , 05:12 PM
Here is the correct missile the RIM-116 SeaRAM

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 30-07-2011 , 02:10 AM
The missile was a fun project. I had to guess on the proportions as I only had the quarter view to work with but I know the missile is 9'3" and low and behold it did fit in the tube however I had to completely rebuild the front and back covers and all the caps because I made the holes way to small.

Take this as a example of why you should build a complete proxy model first. Had I done that I would have realized the openings were to small. In my defense at the start I had no intention of modeling the missile, but they will be needed for an upcoming project.

I had to figure out how to fold things to cram it into the tube. I think the front canards come in and rotate. I am sure the back fins are hinged and fold I can see it in the reference image.

I kept the model lite and so the fins are not beveled or smoothed. I will go in and clean them up tomorrow.

Here are some shots and a cool playblast of the fins extending and folding. Put it in loop play.

‪rim116 searam missile‬‏ - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 30-07-2011 at 02:20 AM.