Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 25-09-2012 , 09:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Not tedious at all... very entertaining. This looks excellent. I wish I was a better animator so I could critique the weight and the ease in and out etc., but I can't really. The flickering in the headlights is a bit distracting for me.

# 62 26-09-2012 , 08:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Cool stuff mj...nice work man

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 63 26-09-2012 , 04:01 PM
SM Tea Boy
I look forward to seeing it with a backing plate user added image

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 64 04-10-2012 , 05:35 PM
You know T, every time I come onto this thread it's a combination of admiration and self-skill loathing. If I didn't already know at this point how much it takes to get as good as you technically (I'm not even going to broach the rampant artistic merits, as that would be belaboring the obvious), I'd be kicking myself even harder while just really loving the hell out of your work.

This is so freakin cool it kills me.

I could just sit and look at it for an hour man.

Trav

# 65 18-10-2012 , 01:03 PM
Senior Animator - Sumo Digital
So ... I was planning on shooting some video for the last animation I did, I wanted a location that I could use to represent a "Test Lab" I was hoping to find an empty warehouse I could then augment with CG equipment ... unfortunately I've not been able to find anywhere suitable. So I've started blocking out a completely CG "Test Lab".
And here is the start of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJm6bd8Zpfg

# 66 19-10-2012 , 07:01 AM
Ooooo .. I forgot to mention ... I recently got featured on Nuthinbutmech's Facebook page. Was really chuffed. Made my day. user added image

# 67 19-10-2012 , 12:39 PM
Lifetime Member
TBH mj...a 'Test Lab' is cool and bloody good work on the model BUT...its SO overdone in games man. Well for me anyway...in particular anime. Maybe a doors opens (from the test lab)...where you DONT see much of the lab apart from the through the door. Maybe it then steps out into an abandoned building...or street? Just a thought...cool stuff man...love it.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 68 26-02-2013 , 08:30 AM
I've had a long break from this, recently I've started blocking out the pilot getting aboard, this has helped me identify much design features and additional modelling that will be required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPyRNn92geg

# 69 26-02-2013 , 02:21 PM
Looks amazing! Nice work..The pilot is a little freaky looking..lol..in a good way I mean, just the climbing into the Mech part throws ya off, well at least me..Regardless, nice work!

# 70 26-02-2013 , 02:22 PM
That is very nice work.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 71 01-03-2013 , 02:10 AM
SM Tea Boy
i'd forgotten about this it's nice to see you back working on it looks great!

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 72 03-03-2013 , 01:34 PM
Lifetime Member
Absolutely beautiful. The animation is just superb not to mention the whole model. It is nice to see your progress. Definitely keeping my eyes on this one.

Are you rendering it out and add it into a life footage? That would be fun.

# 73 03-03-2013 , 08:08 PM
The thin red line
Nice work make me nearly want to animate some thing, nearly..................dave

# 74 09-03-2013 , 02:00 AM
Thanks for all the supportive comments. I really appreciate them.
I've seen some totally amazing modelling work recently, although I don't imagine I would be able to match the quality, it has inspired me and made me realise my model requires some more attention. As such I've started to add more detail into the legs. In this video (which was a little rushed) you'll see how the original leg looks along side the work I've started on the new legs. Hoping to keep the style of the original design, but add some more mechanical realism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1XBx7OxWv8

# 75 10-03-2013 , 10:32 AM
The thin red line
misterjackson the link does not load for me.................dave