SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
sampson01
Subscriber

Default Robot

Here is what I am currently working on. Excited to get into the rigging part. I've rigged a few characters in the past but never used IK. That's what I am really looking forward to. Thanks David for the great tut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg RobotSG.jpeg (562.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
David
SM Site Programmer

Nice job i use a hybrid of traditional rigging and human ik for the rigging part. In my experience it's a good solution for building rigs fast with the added benefit of being able to add custom ik and compound controls.

I'm glad your enjoying the modeling part I've tried to add a few different techniques in there to keep it from getting to repetitive.

Thanks for supporting the site
David
Old 09-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
sampson01
Subscriber

Default Robot progress...

Almost finished with the modeling. Been taking my time. This may sound crazy but for as long as I have been using Maya, I never had an organized Outliner. I didn't understand the (simple) concept of grouping things and mmb dragging things in and out of groups and orders... this has made my life in Maya simply wonderful! lol Also really digging the bevel tool. Before I had just manually put in edge loops and come up with a beastly mesh that was really polygon heavy. Learning quite a bit Dave. Love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg RobotSG2.jpeg (423.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpeg OutlinerSG.jpeg (107.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
David
SM Site Programmer

Glad to hear it. Keeping an organised scene will become even more useful later when you come to rig and animate it. As your scenes get more complex it becomes essential.

A lot of tutorials i've seen over the years skip it and don't really try and emphasis the importance of things like topology, because frankly it's a time consuming step. However without the discipline of creating good topology and keeping your scenes organised your work will tend to hit a plateau that you just can't get past I see it all the time.

The tutorials i make tend to take a while to work through as i try to pack in lots of different information and some of the thought processes behind why i'd do it that way. My misses thinks i talk to much lol

Anyway thanks for posting it up here always nice to see someone getting something from it and it's looking great so far.

All the best
David
Old 22-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
sampson01
Subscriber

Default Update...

Been laying out UVs. Anxious to get on with it although I think UVing can be quite relaxing sometimes. ...onward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Robot_UV1_SG.jpeg (575.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 15-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
halfloaf
Lifetime Member

Nice clean model Sampson, look forward to seeing the model rigged.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
New Thread