Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-02-2005 , 07:59 PM

Attaching Surfaces

hi , ive just started to work with nurbs , i got some pretty good head surfaces just need a little bit smoothing . anyway my problem is that when i try to attach to surfaces after i rebuild them with the same number of spans some of them connects great but some of them fliped in , the outer surface turn black while the inner have the right color , . any1 knows what the prob ???

# 2 07-02-2005 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
Hey, just a suggestion.. maybe try smoothing it out. I don't know exactly what you mean but do you convert it to polys or something after your through with nurbs? if so then use the

Edit Polygons>Normals>Soften Harden> Options and set it to soft or hard, up to you. Like i said I haven't had that problem in a while and i haven't used maya in a while, but maybe that will fix it user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 3 07-02-2005 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
My guess...and it's only a guess, is that somehow you got the surface normals reversed on one or more of you're NURBS surface patches. But I can't see how. The only way I could get them to flip was with the suface editing tool.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 07-02-2005 at 10:07 AM.
# 4 07-02-2005 , 09:19 AM
i never used the surface editing tool and the surfaces reversed only when i attach them ..
dunno its just wierd

# 5 07-02-2005 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
if you display the normals, do they all still point one direction?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 6 07-02-2005 , 01:51 PM
Display normals ?
i dont know what u mean but before the attach the all point out to the same direction , they are being reversed only when i hit the attach surfaces button .
anyway here is the pic with the surfaces details
cheack it out

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 07-02-2005 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber
can you post the file? I'll take a look at it for you.

What version of maya is this made in?

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 8 07-02-2005 , 03:05 PM
Subscriber
Try applying a different lambert to your file. Middlemouse drag it on user added image. Lambert, blinn.. w/e. Just try another texture now that its attatched.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 9 07-02-2005 , 04:35 PM
The Maya Mountain
you want the matching numbers (14 in your case) to be the same direction. Right now, they're opposite.

Select one of the surfaces and go to Edit Nurbs > Reverse Surface Direction > Options and choose Swap. This will swap the direction without editing the flow of the surface.

# 10 07-02-2005 , 04:54 PM
as always mtmckinley , u solved my prob
Thanks dude