Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-10-2011 , 02:14 AM
EduSciVis-er

Toggle Resolution Gate

It's always bugged me that you can't get a hotkey or shelf button for stuff like toggling the Resolution gate on and off. And it's a major pain with the hotbox too... Space > view > camera settings > resolution gate > release space.

So I figured out how to script a script to toggle the resolution gate on and off for the camera in the active panel. Hopefully it's helpful to someone else and let me know if there's bugs etc. I'm not that familiar with MEL yet, so I'm sure someone can break it handily. user added image

Can't upload .mel files, so just rename the extension after downloading. Better yet, just copy the code into the hotkey editor and setup a nice hotkey for it. I'm going to map it to one of my keyboard buttons user added image.

Attached Files
File Type: txt ToggleResolutionGate.txt (804 Bytes, 845 views)
# 2 30-10-2011 , 04:23 AM
Technical Director
Hey Stwert, nice job for just beginning to figure out MEL!

Your script can be simplified a bit:

Code:
string $camera = "";

string $panel = `getPanel -wf`;

if (`getPanel -to $panel` == "modelPanel")
    $camera = `modelEditor -q -camera $panel`;

int $isResGateEnabled = `camera -q -displayResolution $camera`;

float $ratio = 1.0;

if ($isResGateEnabled) 
    $ratio = 1.0;
else 
    $ratio = 1.3;

camera -e -displayResolution (!$isResGateEnabled) -overscan $ratio $camera;
Only little changes. One thing I did was changed the logic to determine if the resolution gate is shown. I saved it into an integer, as it only ever returns 0 or 1. Using that, below I used the logical not operator, "!", to invert this. (1 -> 0, 0 -> 1). So when it's false, we make it true, and vice-versa. I also broke up the ratio into it's own separate variable and if statement. This allows the user to quickly change it, and also minimizes the chances that they might break something. It also allows you to edit the camera once, instead of twice; allowing you to be able to change that code later, and only change it once.

Nice job user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 30-10-2011 , 01:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice, thanks... I wasn't striving for the most elegant solution, I was just thrilled it actually did the job, haha. Lots more to learn.