Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 02-03-2006 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber
try not to annoy folk then.

# 17 02-03-2006 , 01:59 PM
ok FFS lets just leave it, I wasn't going to bother replying to this anymore but lets get it back to a serious discussion (although this has been discussed many times before user added image)

Tiago2: I'm glad you like Max so much and I wish you every success with it. Somepeople however, myself included, feel that Maya is a program that is better suited to their needs.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 18 02-03-2006 , 02:43 PM
is maya a open source?

Yo mamma!
# 19 02-03-2006 , 02:47 PM
emmm no. that's why Autodesk had to pay so much money for it user added image

All i meant was that maya is scriptable to a very low level. That's what the construction history is all about. If you turn on "echo all commands" in the script editor you can see all the MEL calls that are being made. You can call all of these in scripts etc. Means you can really get inside it and make things do what you need them to do. Very useful when you are doing something that isn't covered in the docs etc

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 20 02-03-2006 , 02:48 PM
Hey tiago2, u dont like maya coz u got its PLE, just buy [MOD EDIT: No piracy talk please user added image] maya unlimited and use it.
max some kinda suck.

Yo mamma!
# 21 02-03-2006 , 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
emmm no. that's why Autodesk had to pay so much money for it user added image

All i meant was that maya is scriptable to a very low level. That's what the construction history is all about. If you turn on "echo all commands" in the script editor you can see all the MEL calls that are being made. You can call all of these in scripts etc. Means you can really get inside it and make things do what you need them to do. Very useful when you are doing something that isn't covered in the docs etc

user added image
A

Ohhh, hoe do you go about that??? I.e. the script for a total mel virgin?

# 22 03-03-2006 , 12:40 AM
I personally like max. Its polymodeling toolset is amazing, I can make models much faster in it then in Maya.

I think I prefer Max over Maya, but I have to say that Maya is more in-depth. ie. you can get into Max easily and get good at it fast- but once you master it, theres a limitable amount of stuff that it can do.

Maya, however, ehen you master it- which most likely none of us will ever do (alan might, hes got so many film credits :p) as in, make it to the Maya Masters, you can do almost anything.

Thats my take on it

cya later
Matt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 23 03-03-2006 , 01:04 AM
I use both Maya and max for modeling and i still perefer maya over max pretty much in every way.. Max has a lot more botton pushing then maya and slows things down i find. I do like Max's render a lot more ..

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 24 03-03-2006 , 05:22 AM
yo kurt, why do you like max render?
both have got mental ray

Yo mamma!
# 25 03-03-2006 , 05:37 AM
max renders faster then maya

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 26 03-03-2006 , 09:10 AM
i think maya is slow because maya rendering quality is high than max.

Yo mamma!
# 27 03-03-2006 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber
like i said a while ago tiago2 kurt still uses maya. he didnt totally leave maya.
mayas render is more accurate than max.....i think!!!
the maya feature (i forgot what it was called) that i liked was when you select a certain area in your render window and it only renders that one part. just like max.

i wont be part of this debate/querrel/reasonings. whatever you call it. just want to see others ppls post and arguments.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 28 03-03-2006 , 12:57 PM
I believe you can do scripting in MAX too, but after I got thru the MAX training, and started learning MAYA, I lost all desire to continue learning MAX . . . MAYA's modeling capability far exceeds that of MAX's.

MAX's interface and efficiency does not match MAYA's with perhaps the exception of rendering. In Maya you really have to know what you are doing if you are shooting for a realistic look. But then again, I don't really shoot for a realistic look in many of the projects I do, because the time factor AND, if you want realistic look, why not just make a film or take a picture. . .

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 29 04-03-2006 , 05:52 AM
Why is max poly modelling tool better than maya?

Yo mamma!
# 30 04-03-2006 , 05:39 PM
its unexplainable- :p just download the free 30 day trial from autodesk and see for urself.

Live the life you love, love the life you live