Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-01-2014 , 08:56 PM

January Doom Challenge

Hey guys, I just wanted to go ahead and get my page here going and introduce myself since i've never been active in this forums community. I've been ghosting around the forums since... 08 or so... Figured this challenge interested me enough that i would try and see how i fair.

I'll be posting my progress screen shots here as i get work done. So far i plan on starting with a male anatomy study i did a month ago as a good topology and scaling reference. I'll be making a demon. I think i'll be adding my own spin mixing it with an imp from doom as well to see how it goes. If i get really into it and have time i might aim to do a cyber demon. That might be out of the time limit i have by joining in this late.

Anyways. Looks like the people posting work on this so far have some good looking ideas and im looking forward to seeing whats happening.

I'll post my first screen shots up tonight.

Take it easy guys,
Fear.

# 2 18-01-2014 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
its till the end of Feb so plenty of time yet - welcome

# 3 18-01-2014 , 09:12 PM
thanks for the welcome!

# 4 19-01-2014 , 01:07 AM

Update #1

Alright guys, as promised. Here are the starting points.

First up is the base mesh i made for an anatomy study i did a month ago, that im using as a topology start and scale reference.
user added image

next is the first hour or so of messing with the deformation of the body to demonize him. Im liking the direction so far and just need to really decide what im going to keep or change. Then i'll head into a much better detail level, retopo, bake, etc.

user added image

# 5 19-01-2014 , 10:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Welcome to the challenge mate, good luck. Plenty of time...well I hope so Im doing part of the prize bahahah

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 19-01-2014 , 04:39 PM
welcome to the community. I am also concerned about time, trying to learn modo at the same time since we decided to test modo for rendering at work. So, hope we all find time to finish the entries. Good luck.

# 7 20-01-2014 , 06:16 AM

Update #2

Here is the next update for my demon. Figured i'd provide more angles since im getting a little farther along in the shaping. Starting to play with ideas for details not really sold on anything detail oriented yet.

user added image user added image

user added image user added image

im hoping due to the long weekend i might be able to get the mouth adjusted more and add teeth tomorrow. I am liking the over all shape of him now though.

Thanks,
Fear.

# 8 20-01-2014 , 06:43 AM
Lifetime Member
It might just be me but the legs seem out of proportion to the torso?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 20-01-2014 , 08:17 AM
What's the fun in making a demon if I leave the proportions the same as a human. By that scale the head is small aswell as the torso. Although they might be harder to notice once he is posed leaning forward. Good eye though

# 10 11-02-2014 , 04:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Yes it is a demon I know user added image everyones idea of demons are different depending on your culture and where you live user added image

cheers bullet

bullet1968