Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-01-2007 , 10:30 AM

minimalist scene

I really liked happymat27's cat animation and the way he did the scenery, so I made myself a slightly similar desktop, and also took the opportunity to learn a bit more about texturing and shaders. Here's the result. I'm not totally happy with the water, which I would have liked to be a bit choppy, but I couldn't be bothered to model the waves and things.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-01-2007 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the mention there Edward,

and glad you liked the animaion. You could use a bump map for the water surface, something like the attached image will provide a ripple effect. it took a few seconds in photoshop to make so if you were to spend a little more time it could look really cool.

Take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 24-01-2007 , 12:28 PM
i'd bet any money that happymat27 just created the new 3d rage... forget dynamics, fluids, ncloth, particles, HDRI, or even global illumination - the future is in cardboard cutout sets. user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 24-01-2007 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
yes, forward into the past, regress and rebirth!! I feel my childhood coming on! (although I don't mind the occasional softbody,)

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 24-01-2007 , 11:17 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
i'd bet any money that happymat27 just created the new 3d rage... forget dynamics, fluids, ncloth, particles, HDRI, or even global illumination - the future is in cardboard cutout sets. user added image

The futures always been in cardboard cut outs, especially for the cash strapped single artist! He, he!

Nice little scene, you should make soem little characters to go in it too!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 25-01-2007 , 03:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestion with the bump map, it works quite nicely I think:

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 25-01-2007 , 05:39 AM
Subscriber
Nicely done Edward,

one last thing that I might suggest addressing would be the reflectivity of the ground. I thought it was two different light sources casting shadows at first but realised that it was the ground reflecting (my monitor needs seeing too I think!!). Anyway, on a personal note I think it would look better with a matt floor texture.

Nice work and a good idea for a wallpaper,

Mat.

# 8 25-01-2007 , 05:53 AM
thanks. My idea is that I wanted the ground to take a bit of colour from the bushes, i.e. look slightly green, but final gather didn't do anything in this regard and I wasn't sure how to do that. Any ideas?

Just to note, the ground is a white plane only slightly larger than the area that the bushes is on and the camera background is white.

# 9 25-01-2007 , 06:06 AM
Use GI and caustics to get the colour bleed (the help files tell you all about them and the respective properties, more so that what, more so than what I could go into)

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 30-01-2007 , 09:52 PM
Subscriber
another suggestion, i ''painted' on the specular for the river and used raytracing, in this (another cardboard cutout), it is reflecting the blue of the sky

Attached Images

take it easy and life will be easy
# 11 01-02-2007 , 01:27 PM
Acid44
id say less bump effect on the river i think it could use more... shine

other than that cool work manuser added image

# 12 02-02-2007 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NeoStrider

haha soo true! cardboard cutout are the best looking things ever ... user added image